Friday, 16 June 2017

Musicality

I will listen from music from the time I'm up, non stop until Andy's home, as he gets bored of my never-ending pre 1962 tunes! Oddly, most of the time, when he walks back through the front door, Ricky Nelson is playing, which leads him to tease me about playing nothing but Ricky. Even if he isn't playing, he jokes that I saw him coming and changed it from Ricky to someone else!

Within my preferred time, I listen to a wide array of music: rock and roll, proper R&B, doo wop, rockabilly, country, blues, though not too bluesy as I need a hefty dollop of rhythm with my blues to make it palatable, crooners, 50's and early 60's pop.

People usually have pre-conceived notions about me from the way I dress and they usually assume I like Elvis Presley, hence this post!

Singers from reading my blog you may have guessed I like. And indeed I do:

Buddy Holly





I like odd affectations in voices. In fact, this can make me turn on a sixpence and label something my favourite song of the moment! I like voices which break a little on a particular word, an odd way of pronouncing something, hoarseness, you get the picture. So, Buddy Holly's distinctive voice, is just my cup of tea.

The Everly Brothers





So dreamy. Nothing more needs to be said.


Singers from reading my blog you may have assumed I like. And I don't, not really:

Elvis Presley





It isn't that I don't like him, it's that I don't choose to listen to him and there are only
certain songs I like and they are very few in number.
There are others I would choose to listen to over him. 

Roy Orbison





Yes, he can sing, I openly acknowledge that, but I just don't like his voice, except on slower tracks and consequently, only really like In Dreams and Crying.
I hate, hate, hate Pretty Woman.  

Little Richard





Don't know what it is, I simply have no desire to own anything by him.
I like The Girl Can't Help It but that's it really. 

Bill Haley



I don't like his voice, simple as that.
I do like The Comets though, they are an incredible band!

Chuck Berry


I admit, he was a talented musician, but after a while, it all starts sounding really samey. 
There are records he did which I like, but I don't tend to listen to him by choice.

Cliff Richard
No.
Just no.
In fact, I'd go as far as to say NO!
Actually, NEVER!



Singers from reading my blog now, that even I would never have guessed I would ever like:

Hank Williams





I never, ever liked country singers and still don't like modern country and by that, note that I think anything past 1962 is modern. It's one of my endearing quirks ;)
Listening to a steady stream of rock and roll, got me on to rockabilly, then listen to enough of that and you start to hear the country influence and after listening to Warren Smith, a lot, I then heard on a film soundtrack, something by Hank Williams and was suddenly open to hearing more and now I absolutely love him.

Jerry Lee Lewis





One of my favourites, who I would never have guessed I would like, because as a child, he scared me! I was trying to think how I would have been exposed to him. It was the actual sight of Jerry Lee that scared me, and am guessing, as my nan wasn't music minded and my granddad was all about Jim Reeves, my mum wasn't so much about music, but my step dad was, and to my knowledge, he isn't a fan of The Killer, that I must have seen him on some Alan Freed music vehicle as when I was wee, Alan Freed fascinated me. An early memory is of me being alone and him being on the telly and me sitting right up close, about a foot away from the telly, gazing at him in wonder. I was an odd child! 

Gene Vincent & the Blue Caps





Andy likes Gene Vincent, but even after trying to brainwash myself by playing him over and over in the car, I just couldn't get along with his music. Then I heard him speak and he was so softly spoken, that I immediately came round as I am all about voices *cough*shallow*cough*
Mind you, one of his band really unsettles me (the one on the right, clapping), in the same way Jerry Lee did. Must be the wild musician thing!

Johnny Burnette





I'm not talking the You're Sixteen Johnny, I'm talking rockabilly Johnny. I got Andy a CD once and hated it on first listen. Then as my ears became acclimatised to such things, I found him easier and easier to listen to. Now I label one of his songs one of my all time favourites.


Other Music Type Things I Just Adore:

Trad Jazz





I love it. But unless it's got a mad clarinet backed up with a just as mad trombone, I'm lukewarm and oh so very not interested.

Teen Romance Tunes





I can't help it and I offer no apologies! 
I like the innocence of these songs.
There's one song I love which opens with the line "Here she comes, the prettiest girl in town ..."
They just don't write them like that anymore, and that makes me sad.


Conversation Songs


One of my favourite conversation songs, for want of a better description, is Say Man by Bo Diddley and his right hand maraca man, Jerome Green. 
Have a listen.




Music Type Things I Really Don't Like:

Novelty Songs





I just cannot tolerate novelty songs. First listen I am fine, second, I start to get irritated.
The early sixties seems to be rife with such things. I really do not like things like Beatnik Fly by Johnny and the Hurricanes and Rockin' Goose.


Instrumentals
I don't mind Link Ray's Rumble, Santo & Johnny's Sleepwalk and I ADORE Dick Dale's Miserlou, but I am very lyrically led, so records without lyrics don't do it for me. I think though, I would go as far as to say that Miserlou is my all time favourite record without lyrics. The mariachi section makes me beyond happy!


I am also not partial to things like Tequila which are largely instrumental but feature just one phrase.




4 comments:

  1. I've always like Buddy Holly and Elvis has never been my cup of tea either, although Jos was a big fan of him in his teenage years. He hardly ever listens to him now, so I guess it was just the novelty at the time. Influenced by my dad, I love traditional jazz, swing and big band, which is the only music without lyrics I can abide. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I like a bit of big band and swing too, we used to listen to a lot when we were doing 1940's events, it got us in the mood, if you'll excuse the pun! xxx

      Delete
  2. This is a really interesting read! Despite being a music teacher, I am incredibly clueless about singers and bands! I do like hearing this type of music though-the songs aren't all about sex which is what it seems with modern ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you thought so, all too often when I talk about music, I lose people! I should do you a CD! xxx

      Delete

Thank you for commenting!