Saturday, 27 May 2017

Marwell Zoo!

Marwell photos, which may or may not have been from my birthday in December last year.
Behind? Me?

Marwell Zoo. Amur leopard.
It is considered one of the most endangered big cats in the world, with less than 70 individuals existing in the wild.



One of the Amur leopard cub twins. Absurdly cute.


Snow leopard. My favourite big cat was snoozing and like an angel raised its head when I approached.
Their range spans from Afghanistan to Kazakstan and Russia in the north to India and China in the east.



Dorcas Gazelle fawns, absolutely, completely the most adorable creatures. Melanie wanders along, peers through glass to indoor area. Nothing. Sees three people gathered at end window. Approaches. Sees what they see. "Oh. My. Goodness!" squeals Melanie, spotting the fawns. The people turn as one and leave me to my helpless oohing and ahhing.
The dorcas gazelle stands about 21–25" at the shoulder, with a head and body length of 35–43".



Fossa's. So entertaining. Doesn't Madagascar have the best wildlife?
They can reach almost six feet in length.




Red panda atop pole. I had a chat with this beauty. "Do you know how beautiful you are?" I queried, as sleepy head peered down at me.
Also called the lesser panda, the red bear-cat, and the red cat-bear.



Red Ruffed Lemur! Want!
My favourite animals are bunnies, hares and lemurs.
This is one of the largest primates of Madagascar with a body length of 20" and a tail length of 23".



Rooks. Healthiest rooks I ever did see. Feathers as glossy as spilled ink.
I love all British birds, except maybe birds of prey, but my favourites are definitely magpies, crows, ravens, rooks, jackdaws and blackbirds.
In captivity rooks learned that if they push a stone off a ledge into a tube, they will get food. The rooks then discovered they could find and bring a stone and carry it to the tube if no stone was there already. They also used sticks and wire, and figured out how to bend a wire into a hook to reach an item.




They actually hid the flamingos from me. How dare they! I wore my flamingo cardi and earrings especially. This is as close as I could get. They obviously knew I was coming, so ruined my birthday outing by enclosing them off.
The flamingo is my favourite non-native bird in case you didn't know!
When flying in a flock, the top speed of a flamingo can be as high as 35 miles per hour.




Humboldt Penguin.
The penguin is named after the cold water current it swims in, which is itself named after Alexander von Humboldt, an explorer.


Rhea
Greater rheas are known to be good swimmers.


Jackdaw
Jackdaws form strong pair bonds with their mates and are renowned for their devotion towards their partner. Even if they suffer from a few years of unsuccessful breeding, they still stay together, potentially due to the fact that they have invested so much time and energy into trying to raise young together.
Awww!



Give us a kiss! Giraffe.
Baby Giraffes can stand within half an hour and after only 10 hours can actually run alongside their family.


Yellow mongoose
Some mongoose species live in a cooperative society where each member of the pack has a specific job and subsequent duties. Some are hunters, some stay behind and "baby sit". In this system, older or infirmed members and youngsters are often nurtured by the entire pack.


Oriental small clawed otter
This is the smallest otter species in the world.


Robin!
Juvenile robins have a brown rather than red breast; they grow the red feathers after their first moult.


Capybara
The capybara is the largest rodent in the world.


Sun Conure
Also known as the sun parakeet.


8 comments:

  1. What a shame they hid the flamingoes, especially since it was your birthday! Andy must have forgotten to tell them you were coming! I especiallylove the leopard cub, the Lemur, the mongoose and those funny Capybara! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Completely unfair! The mongoose were so funny, racing back and forth, back and forth, peering through the window! The lemurs, well the ring tailed ones, one of them completely freaked out and set all the others off, it was a terrible racket! xxx

      Delete
  2. This is the best post!! I absolutely LOVE your photos of all the cute animals. My favourites are the Red Panda, leopard cub and the Capybaras!! How sad about the Flamingos!!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you! We were lucky the red panda was out, they're notorious for hiding in the tree tops whenever we go! xxx

      Delete
  3. What fantastic photos, Melanie! You've captured everything beautifully especially that first kitty cat.
    When we were in Brazil those capybaras lived in the hotel grounds and I used to squeal with excitement every time we passed one, much to the amusement of the hotel staff who, to them, were like us getting excited by pigeons! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vix! Hehe, I would have been the same, but then I'm the one who's usually fawning over the bunnies in the petting zoo, or photographing the rooks! xxx

      Delete
  4. Lovely animals! Red pandas are possibly my favourite-ever animal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're beautiful aren't they. My step dad loves them too xxx

      Delete

Thank you for commenting!