Tuesday, 18 April 2017

The Folly Bird Part III



Remember when I started my folly series and only ever put up two posts? No? Well part one can be found  here and part two here It evidently took a concussion for me to remember!


Last Thursday I was on my way from the kitchen to the hall to retrieve the vacuum cleaner and Belle, who was napping, chose that moment to wake and dart toward me, just as I was stepping over one of the cardboard boxes both she and Bob like to play with. Trying not to step on her, I over compensated and my notoriously poor balance came in to play as next thing I know, I lost my balance and smacked my head, hard on the corner of the door. My, that hurt, hurt more than I thought it would and within seconds I had a large egg sized lump on my forehead right above my eye. The pain floored me completely and I sat on the hall floor for a moment, trying to make sense of what had happened.


I tried to call Andy but his phone was evidently on silent. I had just about enough sense remaining to call the minor injuries department at the local hospital who told me to get someone to bring me along so I could be checked out. Long story short, after much calling of Andy to no avail, I found a neighbour who was not only kind enough to drive me to the hospital, but she also waited with me and then drove me home and babysat me until Andy came home, as the hospital wouldn't let me leave with a concussion unless someone was going to be with me for the next forty eight hours.


By the time Andy was home, I had a delightful purple bruise and a big old lump. I recall looking at it and thinking it wasn't too bad all things considered. Then I got the headache from the depths of Hades. I swear I have had kinder migraines.

On Sunday, I saw that my bruise was spreading out. Still purple at the point of impact, it was fanning out to a wonderful shade of yellow across my forehead and down my temple. Skip to the afternoon and a glance in the mirror saw some extreme looking eye make up going on. I took my glasses off for a better look and found I now had a black eye to compliment my lump and purple bruise. This bewildered me completely as I had hit my head on Thursday but it also amused me as it looked like heavily applied Egyptian make up. I did read that soft tissue bruises can take longer to appear so that must be it.


So thank you Belle for that. I am though, now able to walk in as straight a line as I ever could, though I am grounded in flat shoes for a while (booooo!) but I am still getting nasty headaches and my recall isn't brilliant. I spent far too long trying to think of the word service last night, when talking about the pomp and ceremony of Catholic church services. I also look like I have been through the wars as a large portion of my face is now yellow and black.

And, it was this morning that I recalled that I hadn't finished my folly series! So, here you are!


This camel folly resides in Milland, West Sussex and is the work of painter and cartoonist Gerald Scarfe who has worked as an editorial cartoonist for The Sunday Times and illustrator for The New Yorker as well as working with Pink Floyd. He also provided the opening credits for Yes Minister and Yes, Prime Minister.

When Andy first took me to see this, we weren't sure if we were in the correct place and asked a passing man who was cycling with his small children, if the camel was in that field and he looked at us as if we were raving man and ushered his children quickly away! Turns out it was, but I couldn't locate my original photos, so we went back, but Andy had to actually take these for me, as it wasn't accessible for Melanie's. It didn't have the pitched roof when I first saw it, this must be a later addition.

6 comments:

  1. Ouch! Naughty bunny! It sounds like you've got a wonderful neighbour, how lovely of her to come to your assistance.
    I love the camel! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no Melanie! That sounds awful! I do hope you are ok and it doesn't have lasting headaches and effects. That truly sounds terrible! Naughty Belle (though she didn't mean to make that happen!)
    Thank God for the kind neighbour!
    I LOVE the Camel folly! I am sooo glad you said it was a Camel as I was doing my subconscious 'What is it?'with it, thinking, "My goodness, that looks like a Camel!"x

    ReplyDelete
  3. The things we suffer for our pets! I guess you won't be doing any outfit photos any time soon ... That camel is a seriously crazy folly. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you are feeling better, and glad you have such a kind neighbor! Thank you for taking the time to post while feeling poorly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that head injury sounds nasty! I'm glad you were able to get it sorted out. Minor injury units are such great things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Im so sorry you where injured! My dog Norbert,poor dear has passed on, once gave me a black eye jumping up on me. He was a big lab.

    retro rover

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!