Friday, 10 March 2017

Film Friday: Psycho 1960

Film Friday: a little meander through my DVD collection.
Today I am featuring the classic that is 1960's Psycho.
Also home to my favourite screen house, The Bates Mansion.

Psycho is a 1960 American psychological thriller-horror film directed and produced by Alfred Hitchcock, and written by Joseph Stefano, starring Anthony Perkins, Janet Leigh, John Gavin, Vera Miles and Martin Balsam. It was based on the 1959 novel of the same name by Robert Bloch.








The film centres on the encounter between a secretary, Marion Crane (Leigh), who ends up at a secluded motel after stealing money from her employer, and the motel's disturbed owner-manager, Norman Bates (Perkins), and its aftermath.







When originally made, the film was seen as a departure from Hitchcock's previous film North by Northwest, having been filmed on a low budget, with a television crew and in black and white.








The film initially received mixed reviews, but outstanding box office returns prompted reconsideration which led to overwhelming critical acclaim and four Academy Award nominations, including Best Supporting Actress for Leigh and Best Director for Hitchcock.






Psycho is now considered one of Hitchcock's best films and praised as a work of cinematic art by international film critics and film scholars. Ranked among the greatest films of all time, it set a new level of acceptability for violence, deviant behaviour and sexuality in American films, and is widely considered to be the earliest example of the slasher film genre.



Director Alfred Hitchcock was so pleased with the score written by Bernard Herrmann that he doubled the composer's salary to $34,501. Hitchcock later said, "33% of the effect of Psycho was due to the music."



Did you know ... Walt Disney refused to allow Alfred Hitchcock to film at Disneyland in the early 1960s because Hitchcock had made "that disgusting movie, 'Psycho.'"

***

Do you like this film?

14 comments:

  1. I like Hitchcock, but I've never watched this one all the way through.

    I'm amazed Walt paid so much attention to who was visiting Disneyland!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, but I suppose they needed filming permissions xxx

      Delete
  2. I've never seen this film because I don't think I could watch the shower scene.
    The theme music was on an old Hollywood soundtracks album I used to play from time to time. Every time that theme song came on, my dog would wail as she ran out of the room. Needless to say, it wasn't played very much.
    A bit of trivia, the 'blood' in the shower was chocolate syrup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never knew that about the blood! The shower scene didn't really shock me, but I know it did shock at the time of its release x

      Delete
  3. Ive always loved this movie way better then any disney filmI loved the book it was based on too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the book once, no idea what happened to it though x

      Delete
  4. Unquestionably a classic. Kudos to you for featuring it. Fun piece of trivia -- in the famous shower scene, you NEVER see the knife cut or even touch her skin; the effect is created through montage. Viewers swear they saw JL stabbed but it's a mental illusion: our brains put together images from pieces, so it wasn't necessary to show actual stabbing to make people believe it happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't editing clever? Our minds often fill in blanks x

      Delete
  5. I've seen it and enjoyed it. There was that Gus Van Sant remake a few years ago, which I watched, too - not sure why they bothered! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that the one with Vince Vaughn? If so, I agree, they just copied the original, right down to camera angles, it was pointless xxx

      Delete
  6. One of my favourites, it stands up to repeated watching, always something new to notice. I hate gory films (prone to fainting!) but this one is so clever, you don't see any of the stabbing. I had to write about this film for Media Studies in school!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's certainly one of my favourite classic films. There are classic horrors which I absolutely will not watch under any circumstances, as I know I won't be able to rid my mind of the images! Texas Chainsaw Massacre for one!

      Delete
  7. Psycho is such a classic! And Hitchcock was right, the music really plays a most important part in the film's effect. I love that last photo, the Bates Mansion is a favourite of mine too! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never watched it but CBC has booked us tickets at the Barbican for the screening of it with live orchestra playing the score in 3 weeks. I wasn't best-pleased as I get rather traumatised by horror or murder films but I am sure the music will be an amazing experience!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!