Friday, 31 March 2017

Film Friday: Breakfast at Tiffanys 1961


Today on Film Friday: Breakfast at Tiffany's from 1961.

I love this film and even channelled Holly at the Goodwood Revival one year.
My, I was a Skinny Minnie back then!



A lonely, struggling writer becomes enchanted with his neighbour: an independent young woman who strives to be a high-climbing socialite with a penchant for high-fashion and wild parties. But, soon he uncovers the vulnerability she has at heart.


Breakfast at Tiffany's is a 1961 American romantic comedy film directed by Blake Edwards and written by George Axelrod, loosely based on Truman Capote's novella of the same name. Starring Audrey Hepburn and George Peppard, and featuring Patricia Neal, Buddy Ebsen, Martin Balsam, and Mickey Rooney, the film was initially released on October 5, 1961 by Paramount Pictures.


Audrey Hepburn's salary for the film was $750,000, making her the highest paid actress per film at the time.



Holly Golightly wears the same dresses all the way through the movie, simply changing the accessories to give each outfit a different look. Her black shift dress features through the movie at least four times.


Holly Golightly is supposed to be just nineteen years old when she meets with Paul. Audrey Hepburn was thirty-one years old when playing Holly.


Although it's never explained why Holly is wearing a bed sheet at her cocktail party, an earlier scene (cut before release) established she'd been taking a bath and had to improvise a gown on the spur of moment. The cut scene was featured in Life magazine pictorial shortly before film was released.


Did you know ...Tiffany's opened its doors on a Sunday for the first time since the 19th century so that filming could take place inside the store.


***

Is this a film you enjoy?

6 comments:

  1. I love this film. Coincidentally I just showed it to a friend who'd never seen it before. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thinking real hard but still cannot answer the question I'm asking myself: did I actually see the film? I did read the book, a 1960s Penguin edition, featuring Holly, eh I mean Audrey on the cover. Love the photos of you channeling her. With the huge hat and those sunnies, I hardly recognized you! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look great in your Audrey costume! I have to confess, while I love the short story by Capote, I dislike the film. Audrey's character is so pathetic and needy, I just want to slap her!! I realise I might be the only person on Earth to dislike the film, but I'm ok with that, I don't like the Beatles either ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this film! So beautifully made. I found it really interesting to see how different the original Truman Capote book was from it when I read it a few years ago.
    You look amazing as Holly Golighty!!!x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was obsessed with this film as a teen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!