Friday, 12 June 2015

Film Friday: It's A Wonderful Life

Today on Film Friday is 1946's It's A Wonderful Life.

One of many peoples favourite Christmas films, it isn't one I tout as one of mine, but I will always watch it if it's on the telly, despite having it on DVD.

***

An angel helps a compassionate but despairingly frustrated businessman by showing what life would have been like if he never existed.



It's a Wonderful Life is a 1946 Christmas fantasy comedy-drama film produced and directed by Frank Capra, based on the short story "The Greatest Gift", which Philip Van Doren Stern wrote in 1939 and published privately in 1945.


 
Despite initially performing poorly at the box office because of high production costs and stiff competition at the time of its release, It's A Wonderful Life is now considered one of the most popular films in American cinema and due to numerous television showings in the 1980s has become traditional viewing during the Christmas season.



The film stars James Stewart as George Bailey, a man who has given up his dreams in order to help others and whose imminent suicide on Christmas Eve brings about the intervention of his guardian angel, Clarence Odbody (Henry Travers). Clarence shows George all the lives he has touched and how different life in his community of Bedford Falls would be had he never been born.


The scene on the bridge where Clarence saves George was filmed on a back lot on a day where the temperature was 90 degrees Fahrenheit. This is why James Stewart is visibly sweating in a few scenes.


Did you know that James Stewart was nervous about the phone scene kiss because it was his first screen kiss since his return to Hollywood after the war. Under Frank Capra's watchful eye, Stewart filmed the scene in only one unrehearsed take, and it worked so well that part of the embrace was cut because it was too passionate to pass the censors.


Is this a film you love?

8 comments:

  1. I like IAWL - and like you, I own the DVD but stll watch it if its on TV. It is a good reminder that doing simple acts of kindness often have effects far beyond what we can imagine, and that everyone matters. I didn't know the film trivia about the heat, and the kiss! thanks for those anecdotes. Have a good weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's one of those films practically everyone adores - except me! Not that I hate it, it's OK, but a tad sentimental for my tastes. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post and look at a true classic.I'm the same way. I very much appreciate this movie and will happily watch it if it's on, but it's never made it into the running for my own list of favourite Christmas movies. White Christmas and Miracle on 34th Street are both far more up my alley.

    Have a fantastic Friday!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you know,I've never seen it!!! That's terrible! I would really like to see it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to admit I've never seen it! For some reason or another it's always just passed me by. I will watch it one of these days though I'm sure.
    Thank you for popping by and leaving me a comment about Fratton and Albert Rd. There is going to be a community day there next month, not sure if we are going to go, but we'll be back for more exploration of the area.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never seen it either. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband loves it - we always watch it at Christmas, and he always cries!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Who can resist a spot of sentimentality. I think it has it's place and this film is a great example of it being done well. Plus I love James Stewart xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!