Friday, 6 March 2015

Film Friday: Reaching For The Moon (1930)

Second on my shelf, art deco heaven on a plate with 1930's Reaching For The Moon, starring Douglas Fairbanks Senior.

 This film positively screams art deco, so is a must for lovers of this era, if for nothing else, then the sets and props, it's just perfect! And as I love art deco, this film didn't disappoint.

 
Wall Street wizard, Larry Day, new to the ways of love, is coached by his valet. He follows Vivian Benton on an ocean liner, where cocktails, laced with a "love potion," work their magic. He then loses his fortune in the market crash and feels he has also lost his girl.

*** 



Initially, Busby Berkeley was announced to choreograph the picture. 


Ginger Rogers originally was cast as Kitty, but instead went to Broadway where she starred in the classic Gershwin musical, "Girl Crazy.


Originally released at 91 minutes; surviving versions are usually cut to 62 minutes.



Heard instrumentally over the opening credits, as mood music for a love scene and briefly at the end is 'Reaching for the Moon' written by Irving Berlin.


During production, after an argument with writer/director Edmund Goulding over the film's concept, Irving Berlin walked off and returned to Manhattan. In later years, Mr. Berlin, who had received story credit, would angrily condemn the film as released.  


Did you know that this film featured Bing Crosby's first released appearance on film as a solo performer?


Have you seen this film? 
It's been a while since I myself did, but I know I enjoyed it. I'm aware that this era of films might not be to everyone's taste, but it's good fun and as I said before, if art deco is your thing, then give it a spin. 

7 comments:

  1. They cut A THIRD of the film? That's ridiculous. I wonder what, and why - do you suppose there was some pre-Code naughtiness that got chopped for later releases?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it was a pre-code thing!

      Delete
  2. Ive never seen it but it looks brilliant!!!!x

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...even if Irving Berlin had a hissy about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never seen the film - I'm guessing I might admire the styling but roll my eyes at the plot and acting! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello there!
    Let me thank you for this - I have not seen this movie, and (to tell you the truth) I doubt I could ever find it on my own. Sounds interesting, so I will watch it.

    Marija

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of this movie but just seeing those dresses in that last photo make me wanna be IN it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!