Thursday, 7 March 2013

Jolly Good Sport


Do any of you watch sport? I have always been very cool toward sport in general but I am sure a lot of people were drawn in last year by the Olympics and found it wasn't as bad as they had thought. Personally,  I found myself utterly drawn in by dressage. Horses dancing - yes please. Riders sitting being interviewed in tracksuits and pearls - yes please!


Andy isn't a sport type as such, he certainly isn't a football fan thank goodness, but he is a big fan of road cycling, something which used to bore me to tears, but then one year he went up to London to stay on HMS Belfast for a week as one of the re-enactors and left me babysitting the telly when the Giro d'Italia was on.


And then I started to get interested. I have been to a few events in the UK but despite being in the same vicinity as Bradley Wiggins on more than one occasion, I still have yet to see him with my own eyes. Mark Cavendish did though, ride past me on the pavement one year. So now I am now rather au fait with riders, teams and what not which surprises me greatly; I even have my favourite riders. I am also very excited that the UK will host the Tour de France and Ireland part of the Giro d'Italia next year. 

So huzzah for the road cycling season being well underway! There are two races being held this week, Paris - Nice and the Tirreno Adriatico which also means some confusion as to which one I am watching and who is in what race, but hey ho. Now, I am the first to admit I am easily irritated by things, and over pronunciation of foreign words is one of my pet hates (I'm looking at you Angela Rippon) so already I am talking back to the telly as one commentator is terrible for over pronouncing team and rider names. I know it's just as bad when people don't even try but I am sure that people will know who you're talking about if you just say Astana and not AssTanAhhhh! Or Alberto Contador and not AllllBERTo ConTADoooor!  I bet European commentators don't ramble on in Italian or what not and then when it comes to naming a British rider, suddenly over pronounce it in a cockney accent - "Italian, blah blah, blah, Italian, blah, *cockneyaccent*BRADLEYWIGGINS*cockneyaccent* Italian, blah blah, Italian!" 

I am also sad to hear of the passing of one of WWE's big names, Paul Bearer, right hand man to The Undertaker .. yes, yes, yes, I am very partial to the wrestling which I have mentioned here before :) I do love some wrestling! My favourite was always Macho Man Randy Savage (also sadly no longer with us) and The Undertaker .. these days I am partial to Kane, Zack Ryder and Santino Marella. 



So yes, anyway .. I have to get back to my March sewing project, so toodle pip!

12 comments:

  1. Paul Bearer died?! =(
    He was one of the most entertaining guys when I watched wrestling as a child. He also looked alot like my Dad and it was a huge on-going joke in our family.

    ~*RIP*~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, yes. I've been trying to find good footage of him on youtube to show Andy but can't find anything that clear which is a shame; it's all pixilated. I love the fact your dad is a looky likey xxx

      Delete
  2. Ha ha! Your gripe about the commentators made me laugh. I don't care for cycling much, partly because most people who cycle in Melbourne get decked out as if they're taking part in the Tour de F just to get to work (I am not exaggerating). Quite like cricket though and funnily enough, UFC. Something about grown men biffing each other which is very satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's also another commentator who uses the word calculation and classification ALL the time, it's getting to the point that I'm now keeping count! In those cyclists minds, they probably are in the Tour! I have never seen any UFC things.

      Delete
  3. I liked road cycling since recent times too though I always have to have the jerseys explained for my for the Tour! My guilty pleasure is snooker! I find it enthralling!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to be the same with the jerseys, seeing as they change with each different tour, but I think I'm up on the Tour de France ones by now. I just need to learn the others!

      Delete
  4. I'm not a sports fan at all Melanie, even for the Olympics this year. I really enjoyed the opening and closing ceremonies but I didn't watch any of the events. The nearest I get is a soft spot for films like 'Rocky' and 'The Wrestler'. My dad and younger brother were both big footy fans though, and I always feel very nostalgic when I hear the old Match of the Day theme tune because of them. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen so many boxing films, even though boxing is a sport which I find far too brutal. I did enjoy all of the Rocky films though (especially the one with Dolph Lundgren in) and I just love The Wrestler. I really don't like football at all, I don't like the culture that goes along with it. For some reason people seem to think I am really into tennis! The reality is I find it boring xxx

      Delete
  5. Being of Canadian stock, I've always enjoyed a rousing hockey game, but don't actively watch any sports an adult on any kind of regular basis. Tony and I are both big fans of the Olympics, when they roll around, and watch as many events as we can then, and he usually watches the Fifa World Cup (he is Italian after all!), but that's about the extent of the sports viewing that goes on in our house most of the time.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have found myself more and more watching cycling live on the telly as I rather like the commentators cheerful rambling, as unlike the aforementioned commentator in my post, the ones I favour, who are usually in the commentary box, do like to ramble on about all sorts, one in particular shares my love of architecture and of course, live road cycling takes in some beautiful parts of the world with spectacular buildings xxx

      Delete
  6. I couldn't care less normally but when it's the football World Cup I'm obsessed, I watch every game and even have a wall chart to fill in. I don't mind a game of cricket and absolutely love the IPL when I'm in India.
    Not bothered about watching anything else but I exercise every day. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as I enjoy the cycling, I do get a bit cycled out by the end of the road season! I am terrible for knowing the rules of sports, and cycling is the one I do understand, which is a good thing really :) I never took you for liking football!
      I have been trying to exercise every day lately, but having just got back from the chiropractor, I couldn't even if I wanted to today! xxx

      Delete

Thank you for commenting, it is always appreciated.
If by any chance you are asked for word verification, please let me know and I shall remove it.