Wednesday, 20 February 2013

Style Inspiration: Tom Baker

in·spi·ra·tion/ˌinspəˈrāSHən/
Noun: 
The process of being mentally stimulated to do or feel something, esp. to do something creative: "flashes of inspiration".


From the second I skip on to the fourth Doctor .. Tom Baker. I finally had the get up and go to go under the bed and raid the vacuum bag that holds Andy's RN uniform, to retrieve a couple of items that were required for me to do this. I cannot quite believe that I did my last Doctor in November! How time flies.


I thought this was going to be an easy one as I have many an item similar and I have curls - huzzah! But then I also thought Jon Pertwee was going to be a breeze and we all know what happened there.

So what did I need?

CURLS
Check!

A HAT
I have a hat, sadly not like Tom's, his is delicious, mine is merely fabulous.

A SCARF
I have many, many scarves but none the right colours, but I do have two long scarves, one black and white and one pastel stripes, which I purposely knitted extra, extra long so I could have a camp Doctor Who scarf.

WHITE SHIRT
Check.

BURGUNDY COAT
I was very lucky here, as my winter coat is a double breasted red coat, but mine has a 'furry' collar. People stop me all the time to compliment this coat.

GREY (CHECKED) TROUSERS
I own two pairs of trousers and rarely wear either, mainly because one pair are white pinstripe and not very practical and the other pair are black pinstripes and the zip broke ages ago and I am not brave enough to try and replace it.

BLACK BOOTS OR BROWN HIGH BOOTS
I do not have high brown boots.

OPTIONAL WAISTCOAT/KNITTED TANK TOP/CRAVAT
I do not have a waistcoat .. or a knitted tank top .. or a cravat.
But Andy does have a waistcoat .. and a vintage knitted sleeveless cardi which would do very well as a tank top .. and he has a vintage cravat too.

So, how did I do? Hmmmm?


*
I am so annoyed that I didn't refresh my lipstick .. botherment.



Obligatory wide eyed Tom Baker pose.


*
I doff my hat to you madam. Behold the hat hair.


 *
Trying to get a full length shot was harder than I thought seeing as I am at the mercy of balancing my camera on various things.


*
The picture looks odd because I had to lighten it up.



*
I had by now given up and decided on showing you my trousers.


*
Sneaks away from the camera she does ..


And no, I did not go out like this, I had a sudden spark of enthusiasm when I got back in from the chiropractor so dove on in and am now back in my normal clothing as a skirt is more comfortable.

OUTFIT DETAILS
Purple hat, white pinstripe trousers, patent ballet pumps and scarf - retail
Vintage cravat, white shirt and vintage sleeveless cardigan - Andy's
Red coat - inherited from great aunt
Beetle brooch - birthday gift to myself

*
Previous Doctors
William Hartnell
Patrick Troughton
Jon Pertwee



Other sweet bloggers who are joining me!

14 comments:

  1. Fabulous, Melanie, really fabulous. I love those trousers. My mum used to work on the cheese counter in BHS when BHS used to have such a thing back in the day and Tom Baker used to come in every day to buy his cheese and chat my mum up. That Tom Baker....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Loo! I love them too, though they are so impractical and the only footwear that is properly wearable with them are my Converse but I always end up with a swollen ankle when I wear them - booo! Good old Tom, he's fab!

      Delete
  2. I never watched Doctor Who, but I know him well, my boyfriend loves Tom Baker!
    The outfit is beautiful and doesn't seems a costume at all, I love the trousers and the hat, the result is glamorous!
    Love xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great outfit, Melanie. I love those trousers, they look so good on you and the hat is fabulous. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great tribute outfit, it has a real 70s flavour, very chic! Fab hat, and you should wear those trousers more often, they look wonderful!
    I got Tom Baker's autograph when he made an appearance at Woolworth's in Aylesbury sometime in the late 70s, God knows what he was doing there... Or what happened to my autograph book! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Curtise xxx
      I do have a tendency to look very 1970's because of my curls when worn loose! I do love those trousers and every time I have worn them, I get compliments. Our Woolies had Bob Carolgees and Spit the Dog once, and likewise, no idea what they were doing there!

      Delete
  5. I think you did quite well! I am crazy over those pants of yours. You need to wear them more often. =D
    Dressing up is so fun isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it's always fun dressing up! The reason I don't wear the trousers often is a lot to do with not having much to wear with them.

      Delete
  6. Fabulous, fabulous outfit, sweet Melanie! I really think this creative, stylish, awesome ensemble should land you guest spot on Dr. Who!!!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jessica and wouldn't that be something!
      xxx

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous! I adore how you have put this lot together- the coat is brilliant, so is the hat and the scarf is great (it actually reminds me of my cartoon bag- how strange!) and all the little touches such as the waistcoat and the cravat! I was totally thinking about my next Doctor look yesterday when I bought a pair of question mark earrings!!!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really enjoyed doing this one, probably because I already had most of the items to hand xx

      Delete

Thank you for commenting, it is always appreciated.
If by any chance you are asked for word verification, please let me know and I shall remove it.