Wednesday, 16 January 2013

WWII Wednesday

     I have been meaning to do this since last year but typically have only just motivated myself to do so. I like to cook and bake from time to time from WWII recipes and thought it would be nice to share my adventures. Also, Andy loves what I whip up from this era so all the better.
     I started with a dessert as Andy was prowling around the kitchen the other night after dinner, wanting something spongey for afters. I do like sponge puddings, very much so, but you need to be prepared as they take up to an hour and a half to make and I am rarely that prepared. I also hate to do any sort of cooking or baking that involves eggs so I present you with, from the cook book We'll Eat Again -

EGGLESS SPONGE PUDDING
Cooking time - An hour and a quarter to an hour and a half
Quantity - 4 - 6 helpings

6oz self raising flour or plain flour with one and a half tsps of baking powder
2oz margarine or cooking fat
2oz sugar
1tbsp golden syrup
Half tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 dsp vinegar
milk to mix

METHOD:
- Sift the flour or flour and baking powder mix and rub in the margarine or fat.
- Add the sugar and golden syrup.
- Blend the bicarbonate of soda with the vinegar and add to the other ingredients with enough milk to make a sticky consistency.
- Put the mix in a greased basin, allowing room to rise.
- Cover with margarine paper and steam for an hour and a quarter to an hour and a half or until firm.
- Serve hot with fruit or jam.

VARIATIONS:
A little golden syrup or jam could be pit into the basin before adding the sponge mixture.

CHOCOLATE SPONGE:
Use 5oz flour and 1oz of cocoa powder 

***

Regarding the actual steaming, I have tried the covered pudding bowl in a pan of water but now find it far easier to use one tier from the steamer and sit the pudding bowl in there with the lid on.

*

Mid steam .. mine only took an hour to steam.


Hit or Miss?
A resounding HIT!




8 comments:

  1. Cooking by era- I've never really considered that. Well just a little bit consideration from months of research about 16th century cooking (I run a Renaissance Faire) but that's it. I think I wanna give that a shot. By the way, I have a house bunny too! He's a black and white Dutch named Binky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should give it a go, it's always interesting to actually taste the past. WWII for instance, a lot of people have food from that era marked down as being bland but all that I've tried has been very tasty.
      You run a faire? How interesting! I've always liked the idea of going to a Renaissance Faire, they look like a lot of fun.
      It's lovely to meet another house bunny mum! I always used to think of the black and white variety of Dutch when I thought of the breed and thought our Bob very exotic when we went to adopt him, but now all I see is honey and white and the black and white look like the exotic ones! I look forward to seeing pictures of your Binky x

      Delete
  2. Oh, now that looks thoroughly scrumptious! I love that this recipe doesn't involve eggs. I developed an allergy to them a few years ago and now have to avoid them all the time. I wonder if I can make this with a good gluten-free flour blend (I have celiac disease), too...as there are no eggs, I think this recipe really lends itself well, actually, to be turned into a GF recipe. Will be experimenting soon - perhaps for a Valentine's Day dessert - for sure. Thank you so much for the wonderful recipe jumping off point.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to let me know how it goes. I tried gluten free cupcakes once but even though I followed the recipe, they were a disaster, they were absolutely hard as rocks!

      Delete
  3. Hello again Melanie! I haven't had any computer time all week so now I'm going backwards through everybody's blogs trying to catch up. Your recipe reminds me of my mum telling us that powdered egg was popular during rationing. She actually managed to track down a company that was still making it in the 70's and she made us omelettes and scrambled eggs with it to let us taste it. I've no idea if anyone still makes it though. Your steamed pudding looks delicious. I love the puddings you buy in tins, and they have to be with custard made with Birds custard powder. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can still get powdered egg, the places I see it is health food shops that stock a lot of vegan products xxx

      Delete
  4. I made the plain version of the pudding last week - it was lovely and less stodgy than a modern egg version. A tip for you - I was just reading that you can use silken tofu as an egg substitute. Might be worth investigating as you don't like cooking with eggs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it! I have used silken tofu before, in some brownies, but for some reason never thought to use it in other things as a substitute xxx

      Delete

Thank you for commenting, it is always appreciated.
If by any chance you are asked for word verification, please let me know and I shall remove it.