Wednesday, 23 January 2013

Walking In A Winter Wonderland


      I spent much of Monday dwelling on not being able to see the lake in the snow; it was my sole focus. I asked Andy if he would accompany me there the following day which was his day off, as I felt much more confident being out on snow and ice with someone else. Tuesday dawned and after wrapping up warm, off we went. I was so cautious, taking baby steps over the more dangerous looking ground.
     The first thing to prompt a photo was this snow walrus! Far superior to snowmen. I have decided whereas I do not like snowmen (or snow mounds with snowballs atop them, which is usually the case) I very much like snow animals. Isn't he wonderful!


     We finally got to the heathland surrounding the lake. The heath has the largest concentration of Bronze Age barrows in the area and is they say comparable to patterns seen in places in the proximity of Stonehenge and Avebury It's an important historical site and is home to roughly twenty two barrow mounds. They think there would have been far more but many would have been destroyed when the lake was constructed in the 18th century.  This is one of them ..


And this is me! I could have sold this coat time and again, as every time I go out someone stops me to compliment it and to say how wonderful it is.


I look like a doll here I think. Hmmm, my petticoats are making my coat look bulky around my hips, pooh.



A good shot of one of the barrow mounds -





No idea what I'm looking at, but I look like I have a monobrow, hehe! I have my glittery welly boots on.


Andy was braver than me and took to skidding about.



The grasses looked rather pretty next to the snow.



We finally got to the lake to find it frozen over. In the south, during the three month big freeze of 1963, there are pictures of lorries out on the lake.



Isn't it pretty ..


You can see the ice breaking up ..







I used to be scared of going on these as a child, they were always rather dangerous at the hands of older children, but nevertheless I'm pleased that this one is still here and being used.


     We then veered off the heath and went into town as Andy had to go to the bank and I had a hankering for Marks & Spencer iced ring doughnuts. It was in M&S that a lady complimented my coat and another lady said I looked lovely .. quite made my day. We were going to go back past the lake to home but by this time my knee was aching and my back was starting to seize up, so we went along the river and home to tea and doughnuts - yum. 


     Most importantly I did not slip up - yay! I did have a small mishap when the frozen and icy mud I was walking over suddenly gave way but all was well. I also forgot how much I enjoy taking photographs, I used to take photographs all the time but for some reason just stopped, despite always always having my camera with me. The beauty of the heath and lake was very inspiring and has sparked my interest again.


OUTFIT DETAILS
Blue vintage hair scarf - charity shop
Antique rose fake fur stole - gift
Red coat - gift
Mittens - gift
Navy polka dot skirt - made by me
Black glittered welly boots - hardware shop where I used to live.

21 comments:

  1. I'm not surprised you get lots of compliments about the coat, it's fabulous. I love the snow walrus too xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you xx
      I think the reason people like it is that it's bright red and also so long; I'm tall and even on me it's long!

      Delete
  2. The bright red of your lovely coat looks beautiful against the snowy backdrop. Gorgeous photos of the frozen lake, landscapes look so stunning with all the colours bleached out by the snow. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what Andy said, you certainly couldn't miss me!
      I do like snowy landscapes, which is why I knew I had to act fast before the snow thawed xxx

      Delete
  3. Beautiful photos! You guys look like you were having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Mel! Looking lovely here! What a picture you make in the snow!!! I'd definitely be someone to admire you in that coat if I met you out and about! The Walrus is such a sweet idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kezzie! I even had dog owners shepherding their dogs away for fear of my coat getting ruined!

      Delete
  5. I really love that snow walrus!
    You and Andy take great photos.
    I used to love those metal horses. I would always run to them on the playground. =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee, he's fab, I really liked him and the metal horses always put the fear into me! I rather like the idea that they were even in your part of the world, I thought they might have been purely a GB thing.
      And thank you! I really miss taking pictures xxx

      Delete
  6. It really does look so pretty and fairy tale-ish. The red coat looks gorgeous on you and against the white icy background colours. Tea and doughnuts sounds so yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much and yes they were, very more-ish!

      Delete
  7. I always love your photos, you take the most interesting shots! Glad you managed to get out and enjoy the snow a little, X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you xxx
      I'm glad I got out too, as today it's all slushy and the communal garden is snowless but for the snowman.

      Delete
  8. Lovely photos and fab coat! For years I've dithered about buying a red coat because I tend to be rather boring when it comes to clothes and felt that red would be too bright for me, but my sister wore one when she visited at xmas and I thought she looked so nice I finally bought one. The red isn't quite as nice as yours, it's more burgandy/wine red, but I really love it and it looks nice with my dark hair. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The coat was my great aunt Josephine's and she gave it to my great aunt Pearl to take to a charity shop but Pearl thought it was perfect for me so called to see if I'd pop round and have a look. It fit like a glove and she was thrilled I was taking it; since then I get stopped all the time and complimented! I can see red really suiting you and it's a nice pop of colour on a drab day. You should send me a picture of you in it, I want to see!

      Delete
    2. Well, the timings good because I've just dyed my hair and don't look like an old grey hag anymore...so I'll get M to take a pic of me in it at the weekend! Although if I look too fat I won't send it - ha ha! :P

      Delete
  9. Yay for not slipping! One spill can wreck a whole year.
    I know you are so cold over there where you live right now but the pictures we get to enjoy are so very beautiful. Like Christmas cards!
    Love the coloring with your hair, lipstick, and furry scarf too.
    What a unique snow animal, love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made sure to me very careful! Our snow just outside is all but gone now, no idea about the heath and lake though.

      Delete
  10. I would definitely want a strong arm to hang onto in the slippery ice too!! Andy looks more than capable of keeping you upright:). The lake is magnificent - it must be so surreal for you to see it frozen over, seeing the white, snowy world in a different way. You look amazing in your beautiful red coat and the gorgeous scarf - what monobrow?!! Gosh your donuts are making me feel like a pot of tea to go with them! Enjoy a cozy weekend my dear:)) xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful photos Melanie, they make me think of Victorian Christmas scenes or Renoir ladies with you in your lovely long red coat. I thought it was lovely anyway but to see that it is a bit of a family heirloom makes it seem even more special. I'm glad you made it to the lake, it would have been really sad if you had missed such a beautiful day, and home for tea and doughnuts! Sounds like a perfect day despite your sore back and knee, hope they're feeling a lot better now. I'm glad you're rediscovering your joy in taking photos too, hopefully lots of photos will mean lots of blogs too! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, it is always appreciated.
If by any chance you are asked for word verification, please let me know and I shall remove it.