Thursday, 17 January 2013

I Would Like To Thank ..

     Certainly not my back and knee who have been punishing me for my derring do, and in derring do I mean walking to the hospital for a blood test. How annoying. But with some proper rest today I have been able to have a nice little stretch without my back going into spasm (it's the small things).
     In far nicer news, my new petticoat has arrived, it's red and spangly which I was not expecting, but then I wasn't expecting it to be made of organdie either, so it was surprises all round. 
     I have also taken delivery of my new patterns but now have to decide on which fabric to use and most of all, which dress to tackle first. I am very aware that we are in the middle of January and I haven't done a stitch of sewing, but I did pull out the box in which my patterns live yesterday (more derring do) and I even have the bird fabric to hand and it is ready for an iron, so I am all set .. I just hope it isn't a hare project as I promised myself it would be a tortoise one.
     And in random news, we watched 'Straight On Till Morning' over the weekend. Well, what to say .. it was a very strange film .. sad, scary, downright bizarre, horrific, hilarious (unintentionally I am sure) but compelling all the same and when it had finished (and I had taken my fingers out of my ears and opened my eyes), Andy and myself exchanged glances of, well I don't know what, but even Bob was staring toward the telly with the same sort of expression. We also watched 'The Village' and I actually left the room, I won't go into detail as that would involve spoilers but yes, I am a scaredy cat and all but burrowed under the sofa when watching 'Jeepers Creepers' and for some reason, 'The Village' pushed the same sort of buttons. There are certain things that scare me, like oversize beaked protrusions and wings on things which SHOULDN'T have wings and beaks. Things that are sinister that either shuffle or move way too fast and if the thing that shuffles or goes too fast is hunched then I am beside myself with terror. And if it can't be killed then I will be scarred for life and it will move in under the bed. That is why The Creeper is under our bed (he is) with the others, he pretty much personified my fears.
     But moving on to this. This is who I would like to thank -



     I have been honoured with an award, the Liebster Blog Award to be exact, from the lovely lady behind Porcelina's World, thank you so much, it is always nice to be recognised. So yes, these are the questions I was asked along with my answers -
  •  What made you decide to start a blog? I used to have a LiveJournal for many, many years, acquired when it was invite only and myself and many others from a message board related to the 1980's film 'Labyrinth' all jumped onboard. Over the years people drifted away and soon there were barely any of us left and none of the remainder liked the same things I did; I felt somewhat lost so I stopped. But I really felt I would like to start again and as I had seen so many interesting blogger blogs, I started afresh here.

  •  How would you like to develop your blog in 2013? I would like to start more regular themed posts, like my last on WWII cooking/baking and definitely more outfit posts which should be a direct rebound from my promise to expand my wardrobe my means of sewing. I have recently purchased a number of new patterns so just need to take the plunge.

  • Do you have any tips for someone just starting out blogging? Goodness, let me think .. perseverance? To stick with it must be the key. Initially when your blog is shiny and new and the people interested number up to nil, you do feel as though you are shouting into the wind and speaking to yourself as it seems you are doing, is an odd sensation, but I found that it only takes one or two to become interested before floodgates open. Also commenting on similar themed blogs will help get you out there and 'noticed'.
  • What does ‘vintage’ mean to you? Well not the eighties, let me tell you! Don't they say to be vintage is to be fifty years old? I am rather old fashioned in this respect and do go along with this .. vintage technically to me is pre 1962 and therefore means style, elegance and glamour.

  • Are there any modern fashion trends that you like? Despite my regular reading of the UK magazine, Glamour, which I read mainly to see which trends are coming back which means the chances of buying new inspired pieces is imminent. I haven't seen many modern trends I have liked, though I am rather enjoying seeing birds on clothing, I saw a gorgeous maxi dress in Debenhams last year, adorned with brilliantly coloured birds but knew I simply wouldn't wear it, I liked it more as an art piece I suppose! Does this mean my bird skirt is fashionable?

  • If you could resurrect one vintage style trend, what would it be? Hats. Bring back hats! Proper hats, not woolen ones, proper, proper hats. Real hats. And then I wouldn't be asked if I was going to a wedding.

  • Do you have an ‘everyday’ vintage look? I wear skirts everyday and petticoats, and a nice  cardigan, pretty jewellery (often pearls, but not the real thing as I don't approve of pearl farms) and in the summer when it is cooler, my little swing jacket. My hair is always an up do decorated with a vintage hair scarf and my lipstick is always, always red. People always comment on my 'vintage' look, so I suppose I do.

  • What architectural era do you like the best? Hands down, art deco. I cannot get enough of it, it makes me go weak at the knees. I am a very enthusiastic architecture spotting passenger in cars and to this end am terrible at getting over excited and wildly pointing things out while putting absolute fear into the driver. I did this when passing the Hoover Building and did it again when we passed by the Carreras Cigarette Factory earlier this year.
source
  • Is there a particular vintage piece you’re on the hunt for at the moment? I am always, always looking out for the vintage hair scarves I wear daily, they are always top of my list and I look out for gloves too (not leather or suede and of the short to mid length variety as opposed to elbow gloves). Yes, I would love another velvet swing coat but I do have one already, a bargain at £10, so am not actively looking for another and although I think it would be nice to have a little fifties hat to wear, the bottom line is, I don't have the money so I see no point in having a holy grail item or something as simple as a wish list as I simply don't have the money to be spending on myself and what is the point of torturing myself with longing? If I have the money and I see the item, then I will treat myself. I do though, have a list of dressmaking patterns I would like and as I was lucky enough to receive Christmas/birthday money, I used a portion of this to buy some of them and I also snapped up a long desired new petticoat. My coat -

  • Finally, what’s your top tip for beating the post-Christmas blues? Um .. pass.

***

     It now falls to me to pass the blog on to five small blogs, so without further ado ..


And my questions are ..
  1. What was the last book you read? Did you enjoy it?
  2. Andy Warhol claimed "In the future, everyone will be world-famous for 15 minutes". Have you had your fifteen minutes?
  3. Is there a past fashion trend, (let's say pre-1962) that you find absurd?
  4. Are they any vintage fashion 'icons' that you really just don't like?
  5. What is the most embarrassing thing that has happened to you?
  6. Have you met any famous people?
  7. What was the last thing you purchased?
  8. What's in your handbag/purse right now?
  9. What is your favourite television programme?
  10. Is there something that most people can do, that you simply can't?

18 comments:

  1. Interesting post as always, Melanie. Gosh, I don't know where to start. Liking the sound of the red, spangly petticoat. Do we get to see it? Eek, that oversize beak and winged thing you speak of does sound v scarey. Always a pleasure to see your bird skirt and I love that pink coat. Great answers btw. Sorry about your knee and back. Have I mentioned yoga to you before? Gentle stretching exercises helped my back. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tried yoga but I have to be so careful .. even a standard stretch can aggravate things. I shall try and get some pictures of my petticoat soon.

      Delete
  2. So lovely to hear all your answers! And with illustrations too. I can't wait to see if you manage to magic any of those patterns in real clothes to wear. My favourite architecture is art deco also, and I am an enthused passenger too when out in the car!!

    Love that velvet swing coat.

    Thanks again for playing along with this whole thing, I look forward to checking out your blog suggestions.

    P x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait either - it'll stop me wearing the same two skirts all through the winter! The coat is gorgeous and was found in an old bookshop of all places but as it's velvet I have to pick the right weather in which to wear it! Thank you again for nominating me xx

      Delete
  3. Congratulations for your award!!
    All the questions were quite tough, but you answer well and I do agree with the fact that hats should be still in fashion like in the 40's and 50's and birds patterns should be the new trend.
    I've watched Labyrinth with my daughters on Saturday and I thought about you because I remembered an older post, but I didn't know that you wrote a whole Journal on it!It would be amazing to have a look if it's still there!
    Your questions are very good and funny!
    I love the one about Andy Warhol's famous quote!
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We watched Labyrinth on Sunday, I thought it was about time I got Andy to see it! The journal wasn't actually all about Labyrinth, but that would be fun to do!
      xxx

      Delete
  4. Yes! Hats!!!!!! At this time of year, people ask if I'm going to the races if I'm frocked up with something plonked on my head. Oooooh I love The Village and I've recently taken to watching lots of horror movies that have anything to do with the paranormal, which is weird because until recently I had extremely deep-seated fears of horror films. One can never have enough gloves and swing coats - yours is beautiful!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really need to wear that coat more often.
      I have never really 'liked' horror films, but part of me feels the need to watch them, especially in autumn months! Andy hates them though, which leaves me watching alone and I'm a scaredy cat.

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much! I am going to get onto those questions very shortly. I remember watching The Village - those things COMPLETELY freaked me out the first time I saw them!! Unfortunately, I guessed the ending to the film so it was a bit of a let down in the end. I am looking forward to seeing this red petticoat now :) and thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome! I enjoyed reading your answers. I confess to not seeing the end coming at all, I was too busy hiding!

      Delete
  6. Awww thanks, sweetie!
    Here goes -

    What was the last book you read? Did you enjoy it?
    Can't remember the last book because I seem to be taking forever to get through 'The Historian' by Elizabeth Kostova.

    Andy Warhol claimed "In the future, everyone will be world-famous for 15 minutes". Have you had your fifteen minutes?
    No, nor do I want it! The only sense of 'fame' I'd like is to get a novel published!

    Is there a past fashion trend, (let's say pre-1962) that you find absurd?
    Oh, I'm duh when it comes to fashion. If you go really back, to the Victorian era, there was a phase where they wore HUGE skirts, where you could barely get through a door. Those were probably a bit impractical!

    Are they any vintage fashion 'icons' that you really just don't like?
    You mean people? Not really. Most icons become icons because they do have something 'special' about them.

    What is the most embarrassing thing that has happened to you?
    Slipping over in front of a boy I fancied at school!

    Have you met any famous people?
    David Wilkie and Geoff Capes (via school sports events). Also saw Paul Daniels in WH Smiths. Oh, and Bernard Cribans when they were filming an episode of Tales of the Unexpected in my home town.

    What was the last thing you purchased?
    A propagator (not sure if that's spelt right!)

    What's in your handbag right now?
    Purse, spare carrier bag, pen, writing pad, tissues, umbrella...

    What is your favourite television programme?
    Don't have a TV but I LOVE Sherlock and can't wait for series 3!

    Is there something that most people can do, that you simply can't?
    Drive!! I know that I'll never have the confidence to learn. I'd be too scared on the road. It's bad enough being a passenger!
    :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fab answers! Geoff Capes always makes me giggle as I saw some presenter or other on the telly talking about lies you told when you were young and he said he told a school friend that on Record Breakers, Geoff Capes threw a fox around the world. I was all but on the floor laughing hysterically and to this day it still sets me off laughing if I even think about foxes, the presenter or Geoff Capes!
      Oh I can't drive either, I'm enough of a nervous passenger so me behind the wheel would be awful, I'd get pulled over for 'slowing', hehe!

      Delete
  7. Your experience with Live Journal makes me think of how much I loved MySpace and hung in there while everyone was abandoning ship, until there was no one left to talk to and I had to give in to Facebook. Blogger is the first place I've found that I really enjoy as much as MySpace. It would be great if your old Live Journal account was still there, more for me to read! I wish Id asked questions about blogging when I did this, it's fascinating to me to hear bloggers talking about blogging! No wonder I loved MySpace and have never been keen on Facebook.

    I love all the birdy fabrics around now too, won't be long until they reach the charity shops hopefully, and your bird skirt is very lovely, fashionable or not. So is your velvet coat, I'm sure I've not seen it before in any of your blogs, I would have remembered it. Looking forward to seeing your red spangly petticoat and your first tortoise creation! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did get to the point at LJ that I thought, "What's the point?" so just stopped abruptly. It's still there but all entries are private now.
      I shall try and get my petticoat photographed and I'm three quarters of the way through my first make.

      Delete
  8. Hello lovely! So so so sorry for not being around- I've been blog absent for two weeks (scheduled posts) but I am glad to visit you and see what you've been up to! That's very sweet to pass on the award- thank you!!! I'm looking forward to some Doctor outfits at some point soon- because I've been blog-absent and very busy, I've not done any but more!!! I love your answers to these questions! I am SOOOOOOOOOOOO with you on the hats!!! I acquired 6 new ones over the Christmas period- almost bought a massive fancy hat fascinator from the charityshop last week but decided I had no room for it -pity as it was totally unlike anything I own!!!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really have to get around to Tom Baker, but what with my back playing up again, I just haven't felt up to it. Six new hats? Goodness me, that's impressive!

      Delete
    2. To be fair, 3 of them were gifts! I just had to say how much your husband looks like Philip/Robert? Glenister (the one from Hustle) in that picture, a young handsome version of him! I'm possibly going to do Jon Pertwee tomorrow!!!!! If not too cold!

      Delete
    3. Oh do you think? I really like the Glenisters, it's Robert in Hustle, I have a bit of a soft spot for him, hehe. I have never heard that comparison for Andy before though, he usually gets the Gallagher brothers, Richard Ashcroft (the Verve) and George Harrison!
      I am very much looking forward to seeing your Jon Pertwee xxx

      Delete

Thank you for commenting, it is always appreciated.
If by any chance you are asked for word verification, please let me know and I shall remove it.