Thursday, 20 December 2012

Happy Birthday To Me .....

Yesterday was my birthday.  I am thankful for my cards and gifts but can without hesitation say - worst birthday ever (everyone's okay before you worry). It clean blew my sixteenth out of the water. My sixteenth saw me alone and suffering a heavy cold and due to bad weather the telly and radio had no signal. My gifts were LP's and my record player had broken.

My problem is, I wait all year for my birthday and always have high expectations which means that it doesn't take much to dampen my enthusiasm. 
December is an awkward birthday month I believe, money is tight for most these days and most certainly is for us and during December we feel the pinch a little harder. 
The world seems to shut down and becomes entirely focused on Christmas, so having a birthday in the week running up to the day, well it invariably becomes overshadowed. 
The weather is rarely sunny and crisp and is usually inclement. 
I often struggle to think of nice things to do as nice things seem to hibernate come December and even when I do find something, it means travelling and we no longer have a car and are reliant on public transport.
I usually spend my birthday alone as Andy works, but this year he had the day off and somehow I managed to experience a truly disappointing day. It started off well with some beautiful cards and gifts. ..

From Andy. He always does a picture in my cards.


*
From my sister, the card even had a little bag.
The films, the first 'Straight On Till Morning' stars Shane Briant from 'Demons of the Mind' and 'Psych Out' is a Dean Stockwell film.


*
From my mum and step dad, I also got money.


  *
From my nephew and his mum.


*
From my lovely friend Tara.


The day proceeded on to a Wetherspoons breakfast and then the train to Southampton where we had half a mind to see the Titanic exhibition at the new museum. The ticket price put me off when I realised I was a little Titanic'd out after all the anniversary coverage this year and Andy had no real interest, which made me hesitant about spending £17 to get in. So, we didn't go.

It was raining, a cold and merciless rain which was joined by nasty biting winds and I proceeded to battle through said weather around shop after shop after shop while Andy tried to find his aunt a hat for Christmas. The shops were choked with people, the malls (nasty places) were choked, the streets were cold, windy and wet and my back started playing up to the extent that I was having trouble walking comfortably. After a break for a truly dry M&S sandwich and a white chocolate and vanilla drink where I somehow managed to aggravate a man behind me on a seat, we moved on and spent a ridiculous amount of time in H&M where Andy tried to pick out a Baker Boy cap for himself.
By this time I was near in tears with pain and places were close to shutting, so we headed back to the train station and came home to even heavier rain and due to mis-communication of the highest order never had the traditional meal out and even the idea of a film and pizza at home was thrown out the window by the drama of a vague telephone message from the manager of Andy's aunt's sheltered accommodation which greeted us when we got home. She left a message to call back but no one was picking up the phone and even Andy's aunt wasn't answering her phone. An hour later and all was sorted out and I was in bed by 9pm feeling sorry for myself.
So yes, that was a pretty rubbish birthday.

The only half decent photo of the day.  The first time I saw this it set me off giggling for far too long and I finally got a photograph to share the silliness.
Schindler's Lift.


24 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear that your birthday wasn't so great. My 40th this year was my worse birthday ever. My hubby forgot to wish me a happy birthday before work because he was running late (though he remembered during morning lessons and quickly rang to apologise!). Neither my mum or sister rang to wish me a happy birthday (and they usually ring me every day anyway!). I had a couple of cards but no gifts or edible goodies, and was on my own all day with the March winds blowing and the rain pelting the house. 40th birthdays are supposed to be one of the biggies but mine was really depressing. :( So I kinda know how you feel. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I must confess, I went to bed and burst out crying and stayed in bed until 10.30am this morning, just staring at the ceiling. My mood was probably also aggravated by the grand and triumphant come back of my depression (I've just been put on anti-depressants again).
      I'm sorry you had a disappointing and sad last birthday *hugs* How odd that your family didn't call you too.
      I didn't get a card from Andy's aunt this year nor one from my aunt and uncle, though my optimistic streak suggests they might have been caught in the Christmas post as that often happens.
      xxx

      Delete
  2. Oh sorry it was a rubbish birthday. I find that they're quite often an anti-climax. This rubbish weather doesn't help either. Hope you're having a better day today. Oh and liking the Schindler's lift piccy - good spot! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it's that optimistic streak I have, getting my hopes up all the time. I still feel somewhat flat but hey ho, what's a girl to do.
      xx

      Delete
  3. Trust me you are not alone in how you feel...My birthday is the 24th!!! And for want of trying I too do not get the fuss that other peoples birthdays get... I haven't even had a birthday card through the post yet :( I turn 31 this year and might as well of dropped off the face of the earth. Yes I too understand its Christmas (but to me birthdays are always more important) and that money is tight...but seriously spend £2.50 less on chocolate/alcohol over Christmas and just give a simple birthday card that's all I ask for xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Rebecca, I feel for you so much and I'm sure you have over the years often been given 'joint' gifts as I have, which just drives home how overlooked we Christmastime babies are. And I agree, birthdays come first. People often suggest having an un-birthday in June but I doubt very much anyone would even remember if I did that and besides, my birthday is December so why should I 'move' it to satisfy someone else!
      I have had my birthday cards come shoved in with a Christmas card or worse still, a Christmas card comes in my birthday card weeks early causing me to open it without thinking as it's addressed to myself and my husband. Oh yes, and the joy of Christmas wrapping on a birthday gift. I worry about people thinking I'm being a brat but that's all very well to someone who's birthday is properly acknowledged and not remembered at the last moment.
      I really and sincerely hope the postman comes with oodles of cards for you xxx

      Delete
  4. Sorry it wasn't the day you hoped it would be. You had some lovely cards and gifts, I'm rather interested in "Psych Out", it looks groovy!
    Maybe next year you should celebrate an unofficial birthday after Xmas when everyone's a bit flat and fed up, throw a tea party with some of your beautiful bakes and your friends and family could buy your pressies in the January sales (that way they'd get way more for their money and you'd get spoilt rotten!) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vix. I did get some lovely cards and gifts, I was very lucky. I don't think 'Psych Out' is meant to be especially good, it's one of those so bad it's good films I believe, which is fine by me, those sorts of films are some of my favourites!
      A tea party sounds a lovely idea xx

      Delete
  5. Oh, what a disaster!!! Poor you!!! I can imagine how horrible it must have felt! It reminds me of my Valentines day in Feb when we spent the day in the freezing cold, getting lost, not managing to find ANYWHERE to eat in Reims (but on your birthday- totally worse!) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it wasn't the best.
      One Valentines Day we'd planned on a cinema trip but as the one in question was teeny tiny, they shut and locked the doors dead on eight so as we were there a minute past, we ended up popping over to a very busy Pizza Express and ended up with a take away which we ate in the car!
      xx

      Delete
  6. Oh Melanie, I'm sorry your birthday was a bit pants, we all need a bit of a fuss made of us on this day, whenever it is. I hope your back is feeling better today and that lots of cards have turned up , delayed by the Christmas post!
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alix. No, no cards to date and my back, small spasm aside, is a lot better x

      Delete
  7. Sorry your birthday was not a particularly happy one. I have friends who have their birthdays on the 22nd and 26th December - we quite often do a pre-Christmas birthday get together with a load of us, you just need to get it in the diary nice and early. Hope things look cheerier soon - think about what treat you'd like and reschedule. It can still be a birthday celebration even if it's not on the day.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lakota x
      I was thinking of a trip to Pizza Express which is a place I adore, in the new year, but unfortunately it's somewhere that Andy loathes; maybe I'll treat myself and go alone :) I do have birthday money too, the most I have ever had, so I am thinking of all sorts of treats to get myself.

      Delete
  8. I'm very sorry that your special day didn't come even close to living up to your expectations. I've had some truly wretched ones in my time, and know how long the sting of b-day that didn't go your way can be. I wish I lived nearby so I could have celebrated with you and helped make it a much, much better experience. Fingers firmly crossed that this is the last time you ever have a bad birthday again, even if you live to be a thousand years old! :)

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jessica and spending some time with you would have been lovely xxx

      Delete
  9. Is that the Please Sir film? I love that! Shame about your rubbish day, it's annoying when nothing goes right at all xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tis indeed, I adore Frankie Abbott and his mum.
      I had a few friends who forgot it was my birthday too, I always make a real effort of remembering birthdays so to be forgotten is quite hurtful.

      Delete
  10. *Boo to bad Birthdays!!* I am sure we all had at least one of them.
    You must certainly go to pizza express & and Andy should take you even if he doesn't like it there. After-all you need to celebrate your Birthday properly and a dinner out to celebrate it is a must have. Just think about it as a IOU Bday celebration.

    Happy Happy Belated Birthday Melanie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Boo to bad birthdays, long may they stay away! I think I should hijack Andy and shove him through the door be he willing or not, after all, we do what he wants on his day ;)
      And thank you xxx

      Delete
  11. I love the cards in the first few photos! I am such a card junkie- I ahve a whole rolly thing filled with card making supplies. hehe


    Oh, I would also like to invite you to come visit my blog and enter my international giveaway! it's my first giveaway and is celebrating the 1 year of my blog as well as Christmas! It is super cute and has hello kitty, jewelry, art and inspirational gifts! :D I look forward to your visit! Here is the link: http://beyoutifulhope.blogspot.com/2012/12/international-giveaway-hello-kitty.html

    Merry Christmas& happy birthday Jesus,
    Christine
    www.beyoutifulhope.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often keep really special cards and especially those with bunnies on!
      And merry Christmas to you too.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting, it is always appreciated.
If by any chance you are asked for word verification, please let me know and I shall remove it.