Friday, 28 December 2012

Christmassy Report

     I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas. Ours was very quiet but I don't mind that at all. Likewise our new years will be quiet too as we won't be going out. I have never liked to go out on new years eve and have only in recent years admitted as much, I really don't like the pressure to go out and do something on that night and pay lots of money to do so, I'm much more of a homebody these days.
     So yes, I got some lovely gifts this year -



     Clockwise from top left - a hare themed baking set to go with the one I got last year. A tin of Lush goodies. 'Christine' and 'Bunny Lake is Missing' on DVD. Two books; 'Christine' and 'The Little Prince', a breakfast tray with hare theme (the bowls, eggcups and tray all have hares on them), two CD's and a two tier cake stand which isn't pictured. We got a Yankee candle as a joint gift.  I also used some of my birthday/Christmas money and treated myself to a couple of things from my Amazon wishlist -

     I only ordered them yesterday and to my surprise, they arrived today with my shirtwaist dress pattern. I am very pleased that I am no longer a slave to TCM's scheduling when it comes to James Dean films, which is rather fabulous. I really liked Walk Hard when I saw it earlier this year, so when I saw it was less than £2 on Amazon, I simply couldn't pass it up. One of my favourite film genres is the musical biopic and Walk Hard is basically a spoof of these (Walk the Line in particular) and John C.Reilly has a really good voice I think. Here's the trailer -



     And a scene which always makes me laugh, Jack White is priceless as Elvis -




     And in other news, I went to Andy's gig last night. I wore my strawberry skirt as that hasn't had an outing for a while and I was quite amused when the drummer's girlfriend sat down next to me, nudged me and said "We match." and I saw that she was wearing a strawberry dress! How funny!

18 comments:

  1. Glad you had a lovely time and you spent Xmas how you wanted. You've had more fab presents, I haven't seen Christine since I was a teenager.
    How strange that you and Andy's band mate's girlfriend were wearing similar prints, you must be on the same wavelength! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vix. I only saw Christine for the first time last year, and would watch it whenever it came on the telly which seemed to be every three months or so. Our library never had a copy of the book, they think someone just decided to keep it, but now I have my own and my word it's the thickest book I have ever seen! I can't wait to start.
      People were asking us at the gig whether it was by design!
      xxx

      Delete
  2. Well it looks like you did well with Christmas Pressies. =D
    The hare themed baking set, bowls & egg cups are all. *SO CUTE*


    I don't know if I have ever seen bunny lake missing. I will have to look into it. (looks like a movie I would like)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they sweet! Of course now I'm fearful of breakages ;)
      I've never seen the film myself so can't vouch for it, but it's one I have wanted to see for ages.

      Delete
  3. That hare baking set is too much! Would love to see what comes out of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last hare baking set I got came with a gingerbread recipe, so I made gingerbread hares! I might give those another go.

      Delete
  4. You got loads of lovely presents Melanie! I've wanted to watch 'Walk Hard' for ages so your blog spurred me on to go and buy it on Amazon. I love John C. Reilly and Jack White but I'm not going to watch your clips until I've watched the film so it's all fresh for me.
    We used to always go out for New Year and I enjoyed it but Pat's always on standby at work these days and in his bed early. I spent last New Year watching Alan Carr on the TV and talking to Pat's uncle Michael on the phone while he was watching Alan Carr down in Newcastle. It was quite nice really, I felt like I was in one of those old 70s films where people always seemed sit on the phone watching the same programme. Hope you have a lovely peaceful New Year. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very lucky indeed.
      I really hope you enjoy Walk Hard, it's a great film. The Jack White scene is hilarious, Andy loves it, but it sparks him off doing constant impressions!
      I used to do that telly thing with a friend, she'd call me up and we'd chat while watching the same thing. The last time I went out on new years eve was 1999 and we were at the newly opened London Eye.
      And a wonderful new year to you too xxx

      Delete
  5. I really want to see Walk Hard now, you've got me interested and I loved J.C.R. in Stepbrothers. I'm a bit of a homebody too, but not always out of choice because of health issues here, but I've recently decided I hate parties. I'd like to get out to see more exhibitions and music festivals, plus a road trip in 2013. I'm so glad you have plenty of amusements as gifts to keep you entertained, I love getting box sets:) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I loved Stepbrothers! I like Will Ferrell too. I hope you like Walk Hard if you get to see it, I think you'd like it.
      I'm somewhat socially awkward and never feel comfortable at parties. I just don't like being around lots of people and as I can't guarantee a seat don't want to go because of my back which will start to hurt after five minutes of being stood up and still.
      I'm already planning out my first James Dean film session!
      I hope you get to do all you wish to do in 2013 and have a lovely new year xxx

      Delete
  6. Happy New Year dear! I love a good house party but I do hate all the drunks on the road on New Years. Last Year we stayed in this year we will head out to a friends. I would never pay to go to some club on New Years but some times I like a fancy dinner out.
    XXOO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And a happy new year to you too, I hope it's wonderful xxx

      Delete
  7. oooh, you received some nice things!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lucky lady, you! What a marvelous Christmas haul! I love that hare baking set - so cute and redolent some of the characters from Beatrix Potter's classic tales.

    Happiest New Year's countdown, my friend!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And happiest of new years to you too Jessica xxx

      Delete
  9. Lovely gifts there, Melanie! I caught some of Walk Hard on TV a while ago, i had no idea what it was but ended up watching cos it was funny! Perhaps I should make the effort to see the whole thing!
    How weird about the strawberry dresses!
    If you remind me of your address (I have it somewhere, just can't quite find that particular bit of paper...) I have some chiffon scarves you might like, found a load in a charity shop and thought of you.
    We'll be at our friends' house for NYE, with the kids, but they only live 4 doors away so it's practically home from home!
    Happy new year to you and Andy! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did do rather well, I must admit. Oh do see Walk Hard all the way through, it's a great film, well worth a watch. John C. Reilly is fab in it.
      I hope you and yours have a lovely new year, at least you don't have far to get home afterward!
      And thank you so much, I shall send my address forthwith, how lovely of you xxx

      Delete

Thank you for commenting, it is always appreciated.
If by any chance you are asked for word verification, please let me know and I shall remove it.