Saturday, 17 November 2012

Swoon on a Saturday: Christopher Lee

If you made it this far by clicking on the 'more' link, then welcome, if you're going to forego this post then toodle pip to you ... I'll see you in a future post.

***
A very warm welcome to my new followers, I have had a small influx of late, so hello to you all!
I confess that this post was prepared a week or so back and scheduled for today, just after my James Dean post to be exact, and lucky I did too as I have not the energy lately to prepare a new one, my Victorian post drained me of that ability. I have no idea what is wrong with me, but I am very sure that walking about ten paces should not be exhausting me; it's all I can do to sit upright of late. So, as I unearthed a little pocket of energy, I thought I would take the opportunity to edit this 'here's one I prepared earlier' post to apologise for not commenting much of late, though I have certainly been reading.
And so, onward and forward ..

***

Sir Christopher Frank Carandini Lee, CBE, CStJ
(what a wonderful name)
Christopher is maybe not everyone's cup of tea, and really, I have no idea why, but I am a great admirer.
The eyes.
The voice.
The brooding presence (Tara knows what I mean)
The sheer tallness .. 6ft 5 (at his peak apparently). 6ft 5! Six ft five. Six foot five.

I was watching the Bond tribute on Auntie Beeb recently, (I am not a Bond fan, my attention drifts too easily,  but I have seen a few of the films) and had been hopeful to see Sean Connery but it became apparent early on that he couldn't make it due to commitments. Just as my attention was ready to skip off elsewhere, I remembered Francisco Scaramanga, so I was all the more satisfied and in the blink of an eye, Mr. Connery and my disappointment was forgotten.
I almost died when Christopher Lee strolled out in a tux. He has such a commanding presence it was all I could do not to swoon where I sat. He's ninety now and is looking incredible, even Andy said he's a fine figure of a man.

I was in town once and a man the image of him opened a door for me with a small bow and I was so taken aback I forgot to walk through, I just stood there like a lemon, before pulling myself together and scampering through with many thanks to the looky-likey.



*
Francisco Scaramanga, The Man with the Golden Gun.
Swoons



*
Even as a blood sucking vampire he is entirely swoonful.
In one of the Dracula films, he's looming menacingly above a woman who is fretful in her bed. Initially she's fearful but in a split second she seems to have a complete change around and is all, "Oh I say ...." or possibly, "Oh my .." or "Ding dong ..." or in a Leslie Phillips voice, "Hel-lo ..." or even "Hubba hubba ..." I fear I would probably be the same. It matters not if the man in your room at night is a vampire when he looks like Christopher Lee.
Top left, top right and middle pictures *fans self*




26 comments:

  1. Looking like a lemon is a funny saying but I can imagine your surprise when the look like opened that door. Are you certain it was not him? Have a great weekend Melanie. Dawn suitcase vignettes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it is an odd saying; I'm not sure how many people still use it, hehe! It definitely wasn't him though, as he was about my height, and I'm tall, but still some way off of six foot five!
      And good weekend wishes to you too Dawn x

      Delete
  2. I've never really looked at younger pics of him but my, yes, he has that intense look that makes me melt! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you'd understand! It's the eyes I think, he has very intense eyes xxx

      Delete
    2. P.S...I love his eyes in that first collage of 'Man with the Golden Gun' pics, bottom line, middle. :D I love men with those two brooding centre frown lines.

      Delete
    3. Oh that is a good one! He sort of has it in the first collage too, bottom middle, but with the added bonus of a teeny, minuscule little upturn of his mouth, he looks intrigued.

      Delete
    4. Actually, the pic you said, where he looks intrigued...well...rather than intrigued I think he looks rather...sexual...that he is now about to rush across and ravish you - ha ha!! Mmmm!

      Delete
    5. How about sexually intrigued then?
      Mmmm, ooh yes please! My word he's intense ..

      First Golden Gun collage, top middle, that's when you say you have to go and he's not happy. You won't get further than the door ;)

      Delete
    6. Ha ha - yeah.

      I notice that he looks in period dress in one of the collages (collage 2, bottom right, with sideburns). Do you know what movie that is?

      Delete
    7. I thought it might have been Hound of the Baskervilles but after googling that he didn't have those sideburns.

      Delete
    8. Ahhh! I believe it's The Two Faces of Dr Jekyll!

      Delete
  3. Recently we watched "The Horror of Dracula" and to be honest, I'd always thought Christopher Lee was pretty rad, but I didn't realise just how striking he was when he was young. I can't believe how amazing he still is in his 90's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was indeed incredibly striking, he has a lot of great features and a real presence which comes across even in pictures; I can only imagine what a state I would be in if I met him! I met Arthur Brown of The Crazy World of Arthur Brown fame once (you know the song 'Fire') and he was tall, charming and had a very lovely speaking voice and I was completely bewitched, so I can imagine my reaction to Christopher would be that but tenfold!
      I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks he still has it xx

      Delete
  4. Six foot five???????? Wow!! That's actually a giant in acting terms isn't it? I learned in a production unit at uni about how difficult it can be for cinematographers to work around tall actors as they don't fit in the frame, so they have to do lots of jump cuts and editing which takes so much extra time. Which is why so many actors hear the refrain "oh you're so much shorter than you look on the telly". I can just imagine you turning into a pillar of salt when Lee's doppleganger opened the door for you ... if there was ever a "homme fatale", I'm sure it would be Lee:). xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Six foot five! How delicious! I hear John Cleese is six foot seven or eight. That's really interesting about film production and tall actors, I never knew that!
      Homme fatale, I like that!
      xxx

      Delete
  5. Yes, I like! My hubby is 6 feet 4 inches. Dreamy. :) I used to love the dracula movies when I was little! xoxo Lynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do very much like tall men, it comes from being so tall myself, most men are my height or shorter, so I have a thing for those taller!
      xxx

      Delete
  6. I love when I read interesting posts about people I always admired, but that are often forgotten.His Dracula, even if I went through a Bela Lugosi period too, is the first that I ever seen, during my childhood Christopher Lee was 'The Vampire' and Tim Burton's love for him makes me love him even more.
    Thank you for creating such a wonderful eye candy!!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only recently been able to appreciate Bela, though his was one of the first vampires I saw.
      You are welcome xxx

      Delete
  7. I can't get enough of Mr Lee. Did you know he killed a man? True story

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know that no, how intriguing.

      Delete
  8. Christopher Lee doesn't do it for me, but that's mainly because he's old enough to be my grandfather - however - he is one of my favourite actors with a brilliant narrative voice. I need to watch Dracula still! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh he could be my grandad too, but he still has it, hehe! Somewhere we have some recordings of him reading Christmas ghost stories xxx

      Delete
  9. Christopher Lee is lovely but now you've got me thinking of my favourite actor with a beautiful voice, and that's James Mason, I fancied him something rotten when I was little, and David Attenborough too, ooh they had/have lovely voices. I remember seeing James Mason in something when he was an old man, one of those made for TV plays, I think he was a Russian spy or something, he was old by then and I was a lot younger than I am now, but I still thought he was lovely. I've forgotten the original subject now, Christopher Lee! I didn't know he'd killed a man, I'm curious about that now, must go google it. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Andy does a wonderful impression of James Mason! And Barbossa from the Pirates of the Caribbean films too, hehe! James masonoften plays a spy in cold war films but it always makes me giggle as he frequently loses whatever accent he had to begin with and finishes in Mason-eese as we call it! I also like Richard Burton's narration for War of the Worlds xxx

      Delete

Thank you for commenting, it is always appreciated.
If by any chance you are asked for word verification, please let me know and I shall remove it.