Saturday, 24 November 2012

Swoon on a Saturday: Bad, Bad Boys

Lock up your daughters, because for today's Swoon on a Saturday I bring you an octet of hell raising, dangerous, untrustworthy, hard living bad boys with reputations that proceeded them.

Isn't there just something about a man with a reputation?
The angst ridden rebel.
The playboy you secretly hope will choose you as the one he'd settle down with.
The dashing but hard-drinking man in the corner.
The man in the sharp suit with the brooding eyes, a plume of smoke travelling skyward.
The deeply jealous lover.
The erratic musician living life on the edge.

I may be a romantic at heart and a dreamer but I do know that none of the above traits in a man would ever be pleasurable in a relationship (at least for me).  I know that someone prone to roam would rarely settle for long.  I know what alcohol can do to people and I also know what a dark place drugs lead people into. I loathe smoking but a cigarette can always be overlooked when it's partnered up with a glamourous individual in a fabulous picture, just not so easy to ignore in person. I have experienced first hand how jealousy can interfere in a relationship and erratic behaviour is tiresome. The angsty rebel I would consider, but for how long, who knows! So, I shall enjoy these traits from a safe distance with these lovelies.
   

Richard Burton
Richard "The Voice" Burton. I confess to knowing next to nothing about Richard except for his reputation and that he was the voice of Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds. Oh, and he was Welsh. I didn't believe I had ever seen a single film of his, but imdb.com tells me otherwise, I have in fact seen three and didn't spot him in a single one.
"In a February 1975 interview with his friend David Lewin he said he "tried" homosexuality. He also suggested that perhaps all actors were latent homosexuals, and "we cover it up with drink". In 2000, Ellis Amburn's biography of Elizabeth Taylor suggested that Burton had an affair with Laurence Olivier and tried to seduce Eddie Fisher, although this was strongly denied by Burton's younger brother Graham Jenkins.
He was an insomniac and a notoriously heavy drinker. However, ongoing back pain and a dependence upon pain medications have been suggested as the true cause of his misery. He was also a heavy smoker from the time he was just eight years old; and by his own admission in a December 1977 interview with Sir Ludovic Kennedy, Burton was smoking 60/100 cigarettes per day. According to his younger brother Graham Jenkins's 1988 book Richard Burton: My Brother, he smoked at least a hundred cigarettes a day"
(Source)




Dennis Hopper
Now, Dennis, I have a constant battle in my head regarding Mr Hopper. I am both fascinated by him and also fearful, he looks dangerous and I have a very healthy flight instinct (no fight whatsoever by the way) so don't think I could have been in the same room as him, I'd have been peeking round a corner trying to figure out what I really thought .. and I would never, ever have figured it out.
"According to Rolling Stone magazine, he was "one of Hollywood's most notorious drug addicts" for 20 years. He spent much of the 1970s and early 1980s living as "an outcast" in a small town after the success of Easy Rider. Hopper was also "notorious for his troubled relationships with women,"
(Source)



Keith Moon
Good old Keith, one of Blighty's finest hell raising sons. No list of hell raisers is complete without Moon the Loon. His angelic face really does hide a multitude of naughty deeds.
"Moon led a very destructive lifestyle. He laid waste to hotel rooms, the homes of friends and even his own home, throwing furniture out of high windows and setting fire to buildings. It has been estimated that his destruction of hotel toilets and plumbing ran as high as UK£300,000 (US$500,000).  These destructive acts, often fuelled by drugs and alcohol, were Moon's way of expressing his eccentricity; he enjoyed shocking the public with them. In Moon's biography, Full Moon, longtime friend and personal assistant Dougal Butler, observed: "He (Moon) would do anything if he knew that there were enough people around who didn't want him to do it."
According to Townshend, Moon cultivated his reputation for erratic behaviour. Once, while riding in a limo on the way to an airport, Moon insisted they return to their hotel, saying, "I forgot something. We've got to go back!". When the limo reached the hotel, Moon ran back to his room, grabbed the television, and threw it out the window into the swimming pool below. Moon then left the hotel and jumped back into the limo, sighing "I nearly forgot"."
(Source)



Oliver Reed
With Oliver I am both scared silly at the very idea of him and very drawn to him because my word, those eyes. Intense.
"Reed was known for his excessive drinking, and there are numerous anecdotes such as Reed and 36 friends drinking in an evening, 60 gallons of beer, 32 bottles of Scotch, 17 bottles of gin, four crates of wine, and one bottle of Babycham. He subsequently revised the story, claiming he drank 106 pints of beer on a two-day binge before marrying Josephine; "The event that was reported actually took place during an arm-wrestling competition in Guernsey about 15 years ago, it was highly exaggerated." Steve McQueen told the story that in 1973 he flew to the UK to discuss a film project with Reed and suggested the two men visit a London nightclub. They ended up on a marathon pub crawl during which Reed vomited on McQueen. Reed's face had been scarred 10 years previously during a 1963 bar fight after which he received 63 stitches and was in danger of having his film career terminated in his 20s."
(Source)




Richard Harris
I know very little about Richard Harris except for the whole Dumbledore thing (I am not a HP fan) and that he sang MacArthur Park, but seeing his pictures as I was compiling this post has intrigued me a great deal; I could be wrong but he looks angst ridden.
"Harris was a longtime alcoholic until he became a teetotaler in 1981, although he did resume drinking Guinness a decade later. He gave up drugs after almost dying from a cocaine overdose in 1978. A memorable incident concerning his massive alcohol consumption was an appearance on The Late Late Show where he recounted to host Gay Byrne how he had just polished off two bottles of fine wine in a restaurant and decided that he would then be going on the wagon: "And I looked at my watch and it was... Well isn't that spooky! It was the same time it is now: 11:20!"
Harris is also attributed with an anecdote in which he was found lying drunk in a street in London. A passing policeman asked him what he was doing, and he replied that the world was spinning. The policeman inquired as to how lying in the street was going to help, and he said, "I'm waiting for my house to go by." In a 1994 appearance on the Late Show with David Letterman, Harris said he had his driver's licence permanently suspended for knocking over a double-decker bus in Dublin, Ireland."




Marlon Brando
He just doesn't do it for me, sorry Brando appreciators, but there you go, though the picture of him in the German uniform did cause me to look more than twice .. maybe because he looks somewhat like Peter O'Toole.
"Brando earned a "bad boy" reputation for his public outbursts and antics. According to Los Angeles magazine, "Brando was rock and roll before anybody knew what rock and roll was". His behavior during the filming of Mutiny on the Bounty (1962) seemed to bolster his reputation as a difficult star. He was blamed for a change in director and a runaway budget, though he disclaimed responsibility for either. On June 12, 1973, Brando broke paparazzo Ron Galella's jaw. Galella had followed Brando, who was accompanied by talk show host Dick Cavett, after a taping of The Dick Cavett Show in New York City. He reportedly paid a $40,000 out-of-court settlement and suffered an infected hand as a result. Galella wore a football helmet the next time he photographed Brando at a gala benefiting the American Indians Development Association.
Brando made the following comment about his sex life in an interview with Gary Carey, for his 1976 biography The Only Contender, "Homosexuality is so much in fashion it no longer makes news. Like a large number of men, I, too, have had homosexual experiences and I am not ashamed. I have never paid much attention to what people think about me. But if there is someone who is convinced that Jack Nicholson and I are lovers, may they continue to do so. I find it amusing."



Peter O'Toole
One of, if not thee most beautiful actor of all time and those blue eyes get me every, single, time. I shall share a quick story with you about my squishy spot for Mr O'Toole. I was watching a film with him in just the other day, a recent film and he was playing a frail elderly artist. I spent the majority of the film either sniffling or blubbering and then bawling my eyes out as the sight of him like that distressed me completely and utterly. It was down to Andy to convince me he was ACTING. 
"In a BBC Radio interview in January 2007, O'Toole said that he had studied women for a very long time, had given it his best try, but knew "nothing." In 1959, he married Welsh actress Siân Phillips, with whom he had two daughters: award-winning actress Kate (b. 1960) and Patricia. Peter and Sîan were divorced in 1979. Phillips later revealed in two autobiographies that O'Toole had subjected her to mental cruelty largely fuelled by drinking and was subject to bouts of extreme jealousy when she finally left him for a younger lover."



Jack Nicholson

Not up there with the rest, granted, he's here for reputation more than anything, as I don't think golf clubs versus Mercedes are really on par with Richard Harris and his double decker bus episode. He might not do anything for me in the looks department, but there is something about Jack, that glint in his eye, the laugh and the air about him that intrigues me. Younger Jack I hasten to add. I have vivid memories of watching a Jack Nicholson film with my nan when I was a child. He was everso young in it and I would love to be able to recall what it was .. anyway, there followed a sex scene which resulted in absolute awkward silence as it played out. I was flabbergasted to be seeing this and my nan evidently wasn't going to say or do anything because if it was quiet, then OH MY GOD IT WASN'T HAPPENING! That was the day I saw Jack's bottom. Ahh, those halycon days of childhood.
"In a criminal lawsuit filed on February 8, 1994, Robert Blank stated that Nicholson, then 56, approached Blank's Mercedes-Benz while he was stopped at a red light in North Hollywood. After accusing the other man of cutting him off in traffic, Nicholson used a golf club to bash the roof and windshield of Blank's car. A witness confirmed Blank's account of the incident, and misdemeanor charges of assault and vandalism were filed against Nicholson. Charges were dropped after Nicholson apologized to Blank and the two reached an undisclosed settlement, which included a reported $500,000 check from Nicholson."
(Source)



23 comments:

  1. Dark, brooding, angst-filled characters are yummy and great for fantasy and fiction, but I totally agree, I wouldn't want to swap my sweet hubby for one!!! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All exceedingly good to look at and indeed to fantasise about but in real life I need some comedy relief and regarding the above men, Mr Moon may have been a clown but he didn't deal in my sort of humour and he would have driven me potty! And I always thought as a teen that a spot of jealousy would be flattering until I experienced the 'delights' of not being able to read a book or walk out of sight.
      xxxx

      Delete
  2. It's funny, but I have never never been attracted to bad boys! I avoided them like the plague at school, Uni. Only ever been vaguely attracted to one-and the only reason he's a bad boy is because he cannot keep to just one woman (doesn't drink etc) and so when I discovered that, it turned me off him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say I really have outside of films and what not, I have a tendency toward the film/telly villain as they are generally rather comedic! In the recent BBC Sherlock I preferred Moriarty over Sherlock.

      Delete
  3. How selfish, I didn't comment what a well-written and informative article this was! Really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you! It was good fun writing it xxx

      Delete
  4. Great post, must have taken you ages to write! I do love a guy in a sharp suit,and have you noticed how the bad boys are always so well dressed? Though I still I have a soft spot for the Sherriff of Nottingham!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It took a while I must confess, deciding who to include, gathering pictures, reading up and cherry picking the finer details.
      They certainly are well dressed, maybe that's part of the appeal! Me too on the Sheriff, especially as portrayed by Alan Rickman, he undeniably makes Prince of Thieves.

      Delete
  5. I've always liked Jack Nicholson, I can definitely see his appeal. I've never gone for bad boys really, well Pat was a bit of a bad boy when I met him, but I could tell he had a good heart under it all. I can see where you're coming from with Dennis Hopper, though I think a lot of the reason I feel like that is because he was scary as hell in Blue Velvet. I always think of Brad Dourif alongside him for some reason, and Harry Dean Stanton. Richard Burton was lovely I think, another one of those men with a great voice. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack was superb in Easy Rider, as was Dennis actually, but he was so different to how he was in Blue Velvet, I suppose he wasn't 'Dennis Hopper' yet, if that makes sense.

      Delete
    2. I know what you mean, in 'Giant' he seemed clean cut and like the goody goody character, not at all like his later image.

      Delete
    3. I confess to not getting very far in Giant, I got bored! The pictures in his collage are so vastly different .. I mean you can see it's him, but it's almost like another person.

      Delete
  6. Oliver Reed got me thinking of other actors from that period and I loved Robert Shaw in 'The Hireling', he had that same sort of glowering intensity about him. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of Robert Shaw, I shall have to investigate xxx

      Delete
    2. You'll know him when you see him, he was in Jaws and The Sting, but he really had something about him in The Hireling. Sorry I've not replied yet Melanie, it's been an even more stressful week with sick kiddies etc. and the computer mouse broke yesterday so I'm using Pat's phone which he very kindly let me keep hold of while he went to work, probably because he knows it's my only contact with the outside world and is keeping me sane! xx

      Delete
    3. I've seen both Jaws and The Sting, but both an age ago and I don't believe I've seen The Hireling (but then I saw three Burton films and missed him in every one so it's possible I have seen Shaw in that particular film!

      No apologies necessary, really! I hope things aren't too bad for you xxx

      Delete
    4. Well Shirley wrote on her Facebook status "mum's had a nervous breakdown haha" so you can see my family are very concerned about me, hehe. xx

      Delete
    5. Oh of course! Andy often says I was made up of rejected bits and pieces which is why I keep breaking down!
      xxx

      Delete
    6. Haha, can always rely on our nearest and dearest to make us feel loved and cherished. Xx

      Delete
  7. my personal faves here are Ollie and Peter. gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh this is a toughie indeed. So many captivating, talented, easy-on-the-peepers gents here. How does one pick a single favourite? Ok, I'll narrow it down to two: Dennis and Peter (my apologies to the other fine chaps).

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They all do have a certain something, which is why I had trouble narrowing it down to just the one, so I went with all eight!

      xxx

      Delete

Thank you for commenting, it is always appreciated.
If by any chance you are asked for word verification, please let me know and I shall remove it.