Tuesday, 27 November 2012

In Dreams, You're Mine


I have been tagged by the lovely lady behind CityScape SkyBaby  for the Liebster award. 
Thank you so much!

The rules are thus ..
write eleven things about yourself
- answer eleven questions from the blogger who nominated you
- write eleven questions of your own for eleven nominees of your own
- All nominees should have less than 200 followers

Eleven Things About Myself

ONE
"Gooooodbye, Ruby Tuesday, who could hang a name on you"
I was due on Christmas Day but came six days early, so my birthday is in exactly three weeks time! Huzzah! I was named after the singer Melanie and love my name, hence why I don't like it being shortened to Mel. I know people don't mean to offend and are being friendly, but I love my name and don't like for it to be shortened.

TWO
"Don't sit under the apple tree, with anyone else but me"
I will eat tomatoes, apples and pineapple, but nothing will make me drink the juice. Likewise I will have jam on toast but jam on a bagel - ewwwww! No; just no.


THREE
"I can't love you baby because I'm tired and sleepy"
Despite being married I do enjoy a frequent harmless crush on random people. I may have a little one on Derren Brown which I didn't realise until recently. I thought I was just intrigued by him and that I liked how softly spoken he was, but I then found myself all of a flutter when I was watching a recent programme (the apocalypse one) and he went up to the man on the coach, leaned in closely, touched him gently and poof! he went under. No idea what that says about me ......





 FOUR
"He couldn't win the war with ego"
Fireman. Don't get it, not at all but I LOVE German uniforms. Credit where credit's due, they knew how to make a uniform look good! The cut, the fabric, everything was spot on. 


FIVE
"Don't know much about the French I took"
I have accent blindness (not sure if that's a real thing or not!). It makes Andy roll his eyes almost constantly, but then he can tell Canadian from American and I often get muddled with Scottish and Irish. Yes really.



SIX
"Liar liar, pants on fire"
Controversial perhaps, but if you don't want to hear the truth, don't ask me as I am a terrible liar; I really don't like to do so anyway. I hate being put on the spot with a tricky question, an example being an old school friend of mine stopped by my place on his way home with his new boyfriend and a little later came back by to ask me what I thought of his new man. Completely on the spot, my response was, "Yeeeeeeesssss ......." which appeared to offend somewhat.  That is my usual response when I don't know what to say. In fact he was very nice and I corrected myself swiftly.
Likewise, I am not a sycophant and don't 'play the game' because as I said, I am a dreadful liar and to me sycophantic behaviour is nothing more than fawning and white lying and there will always be someone along the line who tells the truth and blows all the white lies away like leaves in the wind.


SEVEN
"A candy-coloured clown they call the sandman, tiptoes to my room every night" 
I think my harbouring a crush on Ben from Blue Velvet has slipped under Andy's radar, hehehe .. it's not like I'm rabbiting on about 'that scene' and playing that youtube clip on a multiple daily basis after all, or going all girly when I watch the clip or anything *cough*



EIGHT
"We are family"
I can trace my family tree back to the early 1300's, I come from money dontcha know, but we'll ignore the fact that all was lost in the civil war. The back then family crest. I read once that you cannot lay claim to a crest unless you were of 'the house' in question.


NINE
"Help me, get my feet back on the ground"
I used to volunteer in a wildlife hospital. My role was to clean out the hedgehogs and feed them. I also used to clean out fox pens and it was at the hospital that I was lucky enough to have a year old barn owl sit on my shoulder; she spotted me in the bird nursery where she got to wander about at her whim and flew up to say hello. I had to stop going there because of my back (weak back and low rehabilitation pens, not heavy hedgehogs).


TEN
"I'll fly away, Oh Glory, I'll fly away"
When I was little I was taken home by a vicar who had spotted me trying to fly in the local park.


ELEVEN
"Can you see the real me, can you"
I can watch footage of Hitler in black and white but Hitler in colour scares me as suddenly he's real. Why yes my mind does work in mysterious ways


*******

Eleven Questions Given To Me

1. What is the worst film you have ever seen?


Starship Troopers. Oh it was baaaaaaad! 

*

2. Who is your favourite comedian?


Eddie Izzard. I love him, love, love, love him. I saw him on the Sexie tour and also spotted him walking through Covent Garden once.

*

3. Who is your least favourite comedian?


Roy Chubby Brown. I don't like crude humour and besides, he makes my skin crawl. My mentality concerning comedy has regressed back to seventies sitcoms and observational. I don't mind a bit of innuendo *nudge nudge wink wink, say no more* but crude and lewd humour leaves me cold.

*

4. Have you ever climbed a mountain?


Hehe, I can barely climb a hill! I have climbed a hill on my hands and knees, it was that steep. Anyone who knows me knows I don't do hills and mud. Also, I have never even seen a mountain.

*

5. What was your favourite past time as a child?


I didn't have many friends and had no siblings living with me so I lost myself in books and with my dolls houses.

*

6. What is your favourite place?


I like Chawton very much.

*

7. Who was your favourite male pop star as a teenager?


Clark Datchler from Johnny Hates Jazz.

*

8. Who was your favourite female pop star as a teenager?



I have never really liked female singers. Andy claims mine was Boy George before he was discovered to be a man, heh. 

*

9. If you could meet up with anyone from history and have a chat with them, who would you choose?


Dick Turpin? But probably because I secretly hope he looks look like Mathew Baynton.
Him or Edward Teach.

*

10. Do you believe in an afterlife?
I believe in re-incarnation

*

11. If your life was a film, what film would it be?



Alice In Wonderland, for I am always chasing rabbits.

***

My Eleven Questions ..

1. What would your ideal fancy dress costume be. 

2.  Who is your favourite Bond.

3. What is your earliest memory.

4. What is the most exotic place you have ever visited.

5. Who was your first crush.

6. What is your favourite film.

7. Can you play a musical instrument and if not would you like to and what would it be.

8. What is your favourite scent? Not perfume, just smell.

9. Do you believe in ghosts? Have you ever seen one.

10. What did you want to be when you grew up and did you fulfill that dream.

11. What is the most adventurous thing you have ever done.

33 comments:

  1. oh lordy I shall give this some thought.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was really interesting and well put-together - and I did laugh about fact ten!!! Have a nice evening!
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Ten still makes me laugh even now!
      xx

      Delete
  3. Fun! I'm right nosy, so I enjoy reading these kind of posts!
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, it's always interesting to find out more about people x

      Delete
  4. You didn't tag me (though I know mine isn't a proper blog, just quotes & pics) but I hope you don't mind me answering them here -
    1. What would your ideal fancy dress costume be. Lara Croft (and I've got it - hee hee!).
    2. Who is your favourite Bond. Timothy Dalton.
    3. What is your earliest memory. Can't remember!
    4. What is the most exotic place you have ever visited. Austria.
    5. Who was your first crush. A boy called Simon Hollingsworth in Infant School!
    6. What is your favourite film. Picnic at Hanging Rock.
    7. Can you play a musical instrument and if not would you like to and what would it be. No. And it would be the piano.
    8. What is your favourite scent? Not perfume, just smell. Cut grass or oranges/citrus.
    9. Do you believe in ghosts? Have you ever seen one. No and No.
    10. What did you want to be when you grew up and did you fulfill that dream. Ballerina and no. :(
    11. What is the most adventurous thing you have ever done. Climbed over a high gate using a rickety ladder when I got locked outside in the front garden (long story!)! I am such a pathetic wimp normally but felt very Lara Croft!!
    :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to tag you but wasn't sure about you passing it on to others, but that doesn't matter because yay! You answered anyway! I think I'm going to edit this post especially for you xxx
      Hehe, loved your Lara Croft experience! Mine was running through a field being chased by a herd of cows, we're a right pair! My ideal fancy dress is a flamingo, I really, really want to do that one day.

      Delete
    2. No worries! Mine isn't really a proper blog anyway...not in the daily events sort of thing. Awww...that was sweet of you to edit the post!
      My heart was racing sooooo fast when I climbed over that gate. Like I said, I am a total TOTAL wimp. So wimpy that when I first went to Tintagel Castle I couldn't even go down onto the beach to see Merlin's Cave because the rocks were so slippering looking I was frightened of falling. But I did return years later, this time with hubby, and he carefully guided me down! It's so ironic that I love the whole theme of Lara Croft yet would never, and could never, be as brave as her! Ha ha! :D

      Delete
    3. I always say to Andy that I'm very comfortable in my comfort zone thank you very much. I have no desire to be adventurous. When that Felix whatshisname did the jump to earth from the edge of space I was flabbergasted, I cannot imagine having that drive.
      Well at least you got to see Merlin's cave, I still haven't!
      xxx

      Delete
    4. I admire people who are adventurous and like to take risks, but I say, better safe than sorry. There was a sad story recently about this young girl who was addicted to extreme jumping. I forget what it's called but you jump from buildings and cliffs and then pull a parachaute at the last minute. Anyway, she discovered she was pregnant and knew that she would have to stop jumping, but decided to do one final jump. On that final jump her parachute got caught up and she plummeted to her death. The baby, mere weeks old, obviously did too. I was angry that she jumped at all when she discovered she was pregnant! I have little sympathy, only for the poor baby. :(

      Delete
    5. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2204014/Pregnant-Swedish-base-jumper-Wioletta-Roslan-dies-jump-retiring-parachute-fails-open.html

      Gosh! I just re-read the article! She was 4 months pregnant when she jumped!!!

      Delete
    6. My goodness, that is so sad and also pretty selfish of her too :(

      Delete
    7. I know! Her mother begged her not to do it. :(

      Delete
    8. And she lost not only her daughter but also her grandchild, it's tragic.

      Delete
  5. What wonderful interesting questions & answers. Thanks for the tag too! I'll have to think long & hard about my answers! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked them and you're very welcome xx

      Delete
  6. Thanks for joining in Melanie, I've just realised how unintentionally secretive I've been about my name here, better let people know I'm Joan!
    I can totally imagine you working in a wildlife hospital, that seems such a perfect job for you, voluntary or otherwise, what a shame you had to leave. I know what you mean though, we have a little shed that belonged to the kids, then Penny and now the hens and it kills me to be in there for any length of time because I'm all bent over.
    I'm the same with little crushes, since being on Blogger and talking about them with all of you, I realise I really have a lot of crushes. Books and drawing were my favourite past times when I was little. I've always wanted a doll's house as an adult, but I would have to live in a much less overcrowded rowdy house to have one.
    I like Eddy Izzard and I hate Chubby Brown, he's horrible isn't he, he thinks just swearing and being crude is the same as humour. I don't mind swearing or crudity if it's done well, but it's all he's got.
    Alice in Wonderland is the perfect film for you Melanie, I can just imagine you in that. I think I have seen Starship Troopers, I almost certainly have because Pat loves those kind of films, I like the good ones but there's a lot of terrible sci-fi films out there, I know because Pat's made me sit through them all.
    The computer is playing up again and I'm scared it's going to delete this comment so I'll go now Melanie, thanks again for doing this! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely at the wildlife hospital overall, except for when the polecats and ferrets threw lots of dead day old chicks at me (As I was squeamish the staff prepared the bowls for me and I just had to open the hutch door and slip the bowl in. I was assured they wouldn't try to escape once they saw food but they went crazy, throwing them at me and then they bolted down the corridor!)
      My dolls house was given to my sister and this still makes me sad, but I do have two now, one has yet to be built though.
      Roy Chubby Brown is horrible, I really don't like him at all. Billy Connolly swears a lot but somehow it doesn't bother me, must be the accent! Also when Frank in Blue Velvet swears (in every single sentence it seems) I soon become oblivious to it as it's so frequent!
      And you're welcome, thank you for the tag xxxx

      Delete
    2. We used to have a ferret called Winnie, but she was very hard work and we had to find a new home for her. She was given to Pat by a man at his work and Pat used to keep them when he was young so he knew all about them, but then I ended up having to look after her and Riley was just a baby, and we had Sasha, Dixie and Jordie too, as well as my older kids and it was just too much for me. She was lovely though.
      I only ever had a very basic dolls house when I was little but I would love the full old fashioned one to kit out and decorate, and a dappled grey wooden rocking horse.
      Billy Connolly always reminds me of Pat's uncle Michael, they sound just the same and even look a bit the same. I read the other day that Billy Connolly's seventy now, I couldn't believe it!
      And it's a pleasure. xx

      Delete
    3. What a sweet name! They do look like hard work, but they're so sweet.
      I had a few dolls houses when I was little. One was a basic one, one a teeny tiny cardboard one, one was an early Sindy house and I had a Sindy townhouse too. The dolls house I adored was a Lundby one and was very Scandinavian. All of those are long gone, but I now have a small shop with one room above and a bigger shop with proper living quarters above. The former is the one that's all built and waiting for tiles. I love rocking horses but would like an adult size unicorn one :)
      xxx

      Delete
  7. That was one of the most thoroughly enjoyable blog tag Q&A's I've ever read. I love that you shared so many interesting, honest facts about yourself. I'd be so interested to know if your chap could pick up that I'm Canadian, not American. When I lived in Ireland, every single person who ever ventured a guess on the spot, always just assumed I was from the US (much to my Canadian chagrin! ;) ).

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so sweet of you to say Jessica and I'm glad you enjoyed reading it xxx
      We've been sitting watching something together and he's remarkably casual about it, I really do not know how he does it. I just asked him about it as he's popped back for lunch and is about to go out again and he can't explain how he does it, all he could offer was it was all about pronunciation, and even I guessed that much! Initially he said that you might not be able to tell if they're on the actual border but otherwise it's really obvious but I beg to differ!
      xxx

      Delete
  8. This must have taken you hours! What a revealing read it was, too, well done.
    I can't believe you've never seen a mountain. You must go to The lake District one day, I know you'll love it! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it! I must confess, it did take me a while, it was in draft mode for a few days while I was writing.
      Seeing a mountain is on my wishlist and thankfully not a hard thing to accomplish. I would like to go to the Lakes. We do have a 'marilyn' close to us though, which is "a mountain or hill with a relative height of at least 150 metres (492 ft), regardless of absolute height or other merit", so that's better than nothing!
      xxx

      Delete
  9. hitler scares me in every colour ... this is such a huge post ... wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scary in every manner really, but in colour just worse!

      Delete
  10. My goodness, Melanie, you have put some real work into this post! I am far too lazy to do them... And I can never think of anything interesting or quirky enough to say!
    I went to university with Eddie Izzard. He was something of a star player, even then. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melanie and the Epic Post! I thought if I was going to do it I should do it properly and it seemed to take an age!
      Ooh get you, going to university with Eddie! Was he nice?
      xxx

      Delete
  11. This was interesting. Being named after a singer is way cooler than being named after a cat like I was. I get confused with Scottish and Irish accents too but, to be fair, I do live on the other side of the world so I don't get to hear either accent much in real life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you do have an excuse, I have none! Oh the shame!

      Delete
  12. Thank you! I'm with you on the commedians, but I don't actually mind Starship Troopers! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was confused as to whether it was meant to be serious or a comedy!

      Delete

Thank you for commenting, it is always appreciated.
If by any chance you are asked for word verification, please let me know and I shall remove it.